Is this an egg? If so, does anyone know what kind?

Dandelion_

Hello!! I’ll get right into the backstory. I bought these together, labeled as “Tyrannosaur Eggshells”! Unfortunately they came with no other information :s_confused:

They are (as you can see from attached photos) pretty small chunks. I was taken aback by how cheap they were, I’ve never bought dinosaur stuff before though so I’m not sure if that’s a normal price.

What you can’t see in the photos:

-has glittery and small crystal-like structures that shine in the light. Mostly on the sides of the shell.

-Not particularly heavy. Seems to be lighter than what a rock their size would weigh. 
-makes a “clink” sound when tapped that is similar to how fired clay/pottery sounds

-both have a slight curve

The photos are in no particular order. Thank you all so much in advance!! 

5C2059BB-EE22-411F-B310-D86D258B972B.jpeg

E5C24CD7-D661-40F0-B978-2504154CD607.jpeg

AC7FE270-A0DE-4857-A629-67DC2784F07E.jpeg

5BBDB9B9-7403-4105-BD83-CB51A75C18EE.jpeg

6A972EE6-8F6A-4DD5-9102-5FFE0BE69C47.jpeg

It does look like dinosaur eggshell to me, but without provenance and at that price I think Tyrannosaurus would be very unlikely. 

• Thank You 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I've seen these cheap eggshell pieces from China, Argentina, and France; from what I have seen they're always sauropod. I've never seen one described as Tyrannosaurid. It would seem unlikely to me unless they can prove it

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Me neither tbh LOL! I had a pretty strong feeling it wasn’t true off the bat just based on how cheap they were, but wanted to mention it just in case! Thank you so much for the info!!! 

They may actually be Titanosaurus (saurid) Eggshell fragments. There are, some might say unfortunately, places where large concentrations can be found. 

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

Yep, as said, titanosaur (sauropod) eggshell. You often see them being sold, even in museum-shops. I haven't seen any that were labelled as having come from China or France - but, then again, I'm not paying close attention, and these countries have yielded sites with huge amounts of sauropod eggs and egg shells, such as Argentina's Auca Mahuevo...

• Thank You 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

The eggshell is a megaloolithid sp. type shell typical of Titanosaurid type sauropods.  You find these from multiple sites from Patagonia in Argentina and are the most commonly sold but ones from France and Spain are also seen on the market 

• I found this Informative 5

In addition to what Frank said, you will commonly see these sold as "Saltasaurus eggshells" as well

• Thank You 1

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!