Real or Fake Oviraptor Egg?

Charlotte787

Hi guys, I was considering buying the attached egg from a trusted dealer, but I’m aware that there is an awful lot of fakes out there and some can even fool the experienced dealer. Any input with regard to its authenticity would be much appreciated!

F15EADCE-F903-4A34-973C-D3A5EF9CE207.jpeg

158625F4-6F53-4534-AA38-96E5F362964B.jpeg

DED10AE9-8271-4FFF-A449-5A6CF055B22F.jpeg

439542F8-1385-4A9F-9A67-B78E5695FB57.jpeg

On the surface it looks real.  Some of the eggshell in your last 2 photos may have been reattached.  Could use some serious prepping to increase its definition.

Do you have any provenance on it and size?

• I found this Informative 1

4 hours ago, Troodon said:

On the surface it looks real.  Some of the eggshell in your last 2 photos may have been reattached.  Could use some serious prepping to increase its definition.

Do you have any provenance on it and size?

The egg is 16x7x3.5cm, according to the dealer it originally appeared on the market some time in the 90s when they were readily available, before the laws prohibiting fossil exports from China. It is labelled as coming from the Ganzhou Basin, Nanxiong District, Guangdong Province 

The egg does look like those from Nanxiong Formation at Ganzhou but Ganzhou is in Jiangxi Province not Guangdong Province (though they are next to each other).  See attached photos for comparison.

IMG_7618.PNG

IMG_8463.JPG

IMG_8465.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

This egg looks real to me. I see proper flow in the eggshell texture

Try to get larger pics if you can

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!