Mystery coal mine "thing" from the Pennsylvanian

aplomado

I visited a coal mine last weekend with a group, and we had a good time finding Carboniferous era fossils.  There were large volumes of plant fossils.  I did find a few marine fossils (brachiopods) also.  I found the "thing" below as well, which mystified me.  I found it splitting a rock, and there was a counterpart as well. I did not retain the counterpart, perhaps I should have (it was broken).

Formation:  Pottsville Group
Age:  Pennsylvanian Period, Westphalian-A (312 million years old)

.Jefferson County, AL

Anyone know what this might be?

mystery.jpg

Although I favor Connor's ID, ... if marine fossils were found as well, it could be a worn impression of a crinoid columnal from Platycrinites.

elliptical-columnal.jpg

Image from HERE.

EDIT: What is the size of this?

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

The white 'film' looks like it might be degraded pyrite. If it is, then vegetation might be suggested. The rock looks like it has gone through a little metamorphosis...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

20 minutes ago, Auspex said:

The white 'film' looks like it might be degraded pyrite. If it is, then vegetation might be suggested. The rock looks like it has gone through a little metamorphosis...

Hi Chas.,

It's good to see you.

Jess

• I Agree 1

2 hours ago, siteseer said:

Hi Chas.,

It's good to see you.

Jess

Thanks! I'm working at getting back into the swing of things. ;^)

• Enjoyed 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!