What is this thing that looks like a turtle carapace?

Lone Hunter

This was given to me many years ago by a Texas fossil hunter, of course I didn't write down what he said it was or where it came from and haven't seen anything that resembles it except my box turtle which it definitely is not. Hoping someone recognizes it and this time I will make note!

IMG_20210308_194650945.jpg

IMG_20210308_195453616.jpg

IMG_20210308_195342844.jpg

IMG_20210308_194926854.jpg

IMG_20210308_194559101.jpg

IMG_20210308_195222315.jpg

Could we get side images (the arrows)? In some images it looks like it could be a bellerophontid mold. Image 4 doesn't look like it though.

IMG_20210308_195453616.jpg.d5bf9e2f6f42df542272f06aac1b86bd.jpg

Interesting... Doesn't look like a bellerophontid anymore. Hopefully someone else will know what it is.

Appreciate you taking a look,  I know it's something, and it may be older than Cretaceous.  

Don't know if this will help but was given this along with it.  Want to say I was told it was Jurassic.

IMG_20210308_225241048.jpg

My sense is that it's a fragment of a larger shallow moving water sedimentation pattern that has dried and cracked.

I think I have one of those, the composition looks very different under magnifying glass though.  Also don't think this person would have given me something not significant but since my memory fails me it very well could be just cracked mud. Thank you for all the feedback and knowledge you give.

As others have said, the last one is definitely a septarian concretion. The second specimen is a gastropod. It reminds me of Trepospira but wouldn't fit with Jurassic and lots of snails are similar (it's only one picture anyway). This is why geographical location and age information is so important to identification.

Thanks to all for clearing that up, sort of,  why wouldn't the first one be considered like a septarian nodule of sorts?

42 minutes ago, Lone Hunter said:

why wouldn't the first one be considered like a septarian nodule of sorts?

Sort of like a criminal case, reasonable doubt. :)

• I Agree 1

I would be interested in seeing another example of cracked sedimentation that isn't flat if anyone runs across one!   

Your gastropod looks like a Pennsylvanian Trepospira discoidalis which are common in Texas (or at least in areas of Texas with Pennsylvanian rocks). The other piece has the coloration that I have seen in some Pennsylvanian concretions and such out of Texas.  

• I found this Informative 1

Yes you nailed it!  Mystery solved and I'm writing it all down this time, thanks so much!