Weird piece of bone/ scute.

max pijpelink

Hello, I found this piece 2 weeks ago on the beach of Breskens in Zeeland. I don’t know what it is and there were not several  options. I get stuck with this piece of bone. I hope that someone know what it is! The sizes are in cm.

B74A4CB6-110D-43D6-BCB5-AAB697047EDD.jpeg

0007DE6F-693C-481E-B823-6EC0067426AB.jpeg

2DF8F844-D4A5-4B50-8EDB-4F513BC4066A.jpeg

93976B2B-9F21-4C7E-B681-FA1AA491902D.jpeg

ECB48E20-4E67-44C8-8272-F872F891F07F.jpeg

A77A4151-1B2C-4250-A5BF-A1C58DD2E497.jpeg

87DD05DB-4521-46F2-85B5-DD96AA8AE9FF.jpeg

i dont know what you have.  It does look like bone in atleast one of the photos.  My fall back position is to ask for more photos, try to get rid of the shadows by being more directly overhead, which is sometimes easier said then done.

Looks like chiplodocus ( a joke term for "unidentifiable piece of fossil bone")  to me, however it has a very well preserved bryozoan on it!

Welcome to TFF!

• I Agree 1

Ok thank you already. 

9 hours ago, val horn said:

i dont know what you have.  It does look like bone in atleast one of the photos.  My fall back position is to ask for more photos, try to get rid of the shadows by being more directly overhead, which is sometimes easier said then done.

here are some new photos. The photos that you saw earlier were photos when it was found. Now it is more brown. I hope that the shadows are disappeared. Maybe a skull fragment because of the lines on the back? 

3B881310-7A67-43B6-AA6F-03116C586BA9.jpeg

BE96524B-DC34-4EC8-8A5A-1787C7D1202F.jpeg

A47BC054-37C8-4510-9AA4-8BC3C4B8B87E.jpeg

329D703E-68FB-45E0-9C68-AC12CAFB0A4F.jpeg

64D4379A-7385-431A-A9F8-FD4E2B21EAFF.jpeg

6F737B49-AAB3-4332-9C26-8904316B0F52.jpeg

A4A71AEE-FEFF-4448-86EA-FAF9CBA4BE87.jpeg

7 hours ago, LabRatKing said:

Looks like chiplodocus ( a joke term for "unidentifiable piece of fossil bone")  to me, however it has a very well preserved bryozoan on it!

Welcome to TFF!

do you maybe know it is a fossil bryozoan or a test to see it is fossil? and maybe the species?

Just now, val horn said:

Maybe fish palate piece.  That circle within circle where a tooth fell out 

The problem is that the size to big is as you ask me. And normal fish have many tooth by each other, this one is lonely. 

Your piece seems broken on the edge so it might not be one and done. Though it would be one monster fish.  I don’t know what you have.  What else has that circle within a circle pattern.  I don’t know what you have but that rather unique structure should let someone recognize it

7 hours ago, max pijpelink said:

do you maybe know it is a fossil bryozoan or a test to see it is fossil? and maybe the species?

Yes! If it is easily scratched with a fingernail it is likely an extant specimen. However, from the photos Im fairly certain that you have a fossil bryozoan on some fossil bone.

5 minutes ago, LabRatKing said:

Yes! If it is easily scratched with a fingernail it is likely an extant specimen. However, from the photos Im fairly certain that you have a fossil bryozoan on some fossil bone.

Oh wow thank you. The planning was first to scrape it of if it doesn’t damage the bone but now it stays on. Is the species also known?

Ahoi,

I could imagine this to be part of a cetacean cervical vertebra, those are often reduced to flat discs, the bullseye pattern could be a remnant of a dens axis? All highly speculative due to the fragmentary preservation. I would keep the bryozoa no matter if they are fossil, they do not occlude any interesting part of the bone and are a beautiful piece of biodiversity.

Aloha,

J

• I Agree 2

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

The colour has be changed abnormal. So I think it is a subfossil from Holocene.   

3A651698-6B67-4F8C-9A4F-43655362C63E.jpeg

65366A6F-1AA5-48B8-AA05-F08E484328C5.jpeg

820160FE-D015-4FFB-AAAF-5D410793F0FF.jpeg

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/10/2021 at 4:39 AM, LabRatKing said:

Welcome to TFF!

Wouldn't this more correctly be called Chunkothere, seeing as it's definitely mammalian (there are only a few places in the Netherlands that have yielded fossil reptile bone - most notably next to the German border,  in the central east, and in the southern tip)? ;)

Anyway, unfortunately have no idea what this could be, other than, judging from conservation, likely Pleistocene and almost certainly mammalian...

Have you tried asking on Paleontica? People there might be more knowledgable on their "local stuff" :)

• Enjoyed 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

57 minutes ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

Wouldn't this more correctly be called Chunkothere, seeing as it's definitely mammalian (there are only a few places in the Netherlands that have yielded fossil reptile bone - most notably next to the German border,  in the central east, and in the southern tip)? ;)

Anyway, unfortunately have no idea what this could be, other than, judging from conservation, likely Pleistocene and almost certainly mammalian...

Have you tried asking on Paleontica? People there might be more knowledgable on their "local stuff" :)

Paleontica members didn’t known it to unfortunately. Thank you for you reaction.