Time for the Bullheads ! Show us your Heterodontus fossils

fossilsonwheels

1 hour ago, Doctor Mud said:

Here’s one - the only one I’ve found at this site. Miocene. New Zealand. 

That's an odd one. Can we see if from multiple angles? It doesn't have the central ridge nor the perpendicular ridges running from the central ridge to the edges of the tooth. Based on my limited knowledge of this genus I'd not have known this was a Heterodontus tooth at all as it more resembled a myliobatid from what I see in the image. Other views would probably make it more clear. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

7 hours ago, digit said:

That's an odd one. Can we see if from multiple angles? It doesn't have the central ridge nor the perpendicular ridges running from the central ridge to the edges of the tooth. Based on my limited knowledge of this genus I'd not have known this was a Heterodontus tooth at all as it more resembled a myliobatid from what I see in the image. Other views would probably make it more clear. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

My collection is packed away, but in the meantime - check out another photo of a port Jackson shark jaw for comparison. They don’t have the features you mentioned. 

3C0691FB-3E3F-41EF-B8A1-E4D521077EEA.thumb.jpeg.b9091e516458f2532fff3bc19a9a3a29.jpeg

Weird teeth, just like the owner :headscratch:

9149E4DA-679F-47E0-8C1B-6005BC6DE577.jpeg.e4f22e6103db2f6e33ff0171ea6c0df3.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

Some of the posterior crushing teeth do seem to show a faint ridge running across the teeth but they do lack the perpendicular ridges seem n much of the genus. They are such weird sharks. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

4 minutes ago, digit said:

Some of the posterior crushing teeth do seem to show a faint ridge running across the teeth but they do lack the perpendicular ridges seem n much of the genus. They are such weird sharks. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

You are right!  the posterior teeth have a ridge now I look closely - but more to the edge. I wonder if they loose this feature quickly once they move forward. Crushing shells and crabs had got to wear those teeth out quickly. 

23 minutes ago, Doctor Mud said:

I wonder if they loose this feature quickly once they move forward. Crushing shells and crabs had got to wear those teeth out quickly. 

Much crunchier than oatmeal. :P

Cheers.

-Ken

• 2 weeks later...

I put this one in an ID thread and looked at quite a few anteriors before deciding to go with Heterodontus as the ID. Pretty happy to have a Heterodontus from a California location other than STH

Heterodontus sp 

Miocene

Santa Margarita Formation 

Templeton, California 

B780C615-202F-484C-B0B2-2635F5951D0D.jpeg

Edited by fossilsonwheels

Anterior gripping teeth seem to be either less common (or less commonly identified) than the larger posterior crushing teeth. Always nice to have a less common position from a new locality. :)

Cheers.

-Ken