Goniatite mechanical and mechanical prep

Manticocerasman

On a recent fieldtrip I found a verry large and promising looking goniatite.

The center of the specimen was covered in claystone.

I tried a combination of mechanical prep with air scribe and treatment with potassium hydroxide.

Removing matrix as close to the fossil as possible and then treating it with potassium hydroxide.

I repeated this process a few times until I managed to clear out the whole center of the fossil.

before and after pictures:

Crickites sp.

Frasnian ( Late Devonian)

Belgium

IMG_7827.thumb.JPG.00db5eafbe43c6eb6631450e9faed7f1.JPGIMG_7828.thumb.JPG.e2a91c08cea906e4ef3772957fab3d11.JPGIMG_7971.thumb.JPG.be82c5f17ed7e3efaaaf936df6f8f596.JPGIMG_7974.thumb.JPG.9c707f485c9041af9e56a8f30d51398c.JPGIMG_7975.thumb.JPG.223fa55be0584eb0b05dc0d0d232a97c.JPG

• Enjoyed 10

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Excellent results!:ammonite01:

• Thank You 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Well didn't that turn out sweet:wub: :wub::wub:

It's interesting that goniatites get to be so large in your area.  Here in North America they are uniformly much smaller, and less diverse.

Don

• Thank You 1

9 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Well didn't that turn out sweet:wub: :wub::wub:

It's interesting that goniatites get to be so large in your area.  Here in North America they are uniformly much smaller, and less diverse.

Don

Thx,

The largest ones we have found here are over 40cm in diameter. All those big ones are from the same genus: Crickites sp.

Specimens from the same size and genus are also found in Morocco.

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Great work! maybe FOTM? Don't know what day would be better, finding it, or seeing it finally prepped

• Thank You 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Woah, awesome prep job!

• Thank You 1

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.