Fossil trips in Styria, Austria 2021

FranzBernhard

I don´t know if I can find the time to prepare fossil hunting trip reports for TFF regularly. However, I will at least try to prepare them regularly for my personal website in pdf format. I would like to share them with you. They are in German, though:

Fossil Hunting Trips 2021 (link to my personal website)

Thanks!

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 5
  • Enjoyed 1

Ich spreche nicht sehr gut Deutsche. 2 years of German in middle school (25ish years ago) did not prepare me for the amount information on your site. Luckily google offers translations. I could only dream of discovering such a treasure trove of information on fossil hunting localities in my area.

• Thank You 1

1 hour ago, Fossilis Willis said:

amount information on your site.

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Fossilis Willis said:

I could only dream of discovering such a treasure trove of information on fossil hunting localities in my area.

That´s the reason why I am doing this - to make my dream becoming a reality :).

I have no final goal, don´t want to make a book out of it - just adding one stone to the other (no pun indented) and sharing each "stone" informally on the internett. Until I can not do it any longer or don´t want to do it any longer.

Thanks again for your appreciation!

Franz Bernhard

03/13/2021: Back again to the Turonian of the Gosau-group of Gams near Hieflau, Styria, Austria:

- Taking pics of the area visited about 2 weeks ago.

- Exploring an area already known to me since 2014, last visit 2017. You will see a "Big Hole", not made by me, of course :Confused02:.

Haspelgraben - Gams near Hieflau (pdf, ca. 5.7 MB, in German)

Franz Bernhard

• 1 month later...

April 2021:

Three prospecting trips to the Upper Cretaceous Gosau-group of Kainach, Styria, Austria, around Römaskogel Mt. searching for Trochactaeon. Found something completely different, rudists :D:D, of course, in two different stratigraphic levels. See especially Römaskogel-2. I think, this were the greatest and most unexpected surprise finds of my fossil hunting career until know. Completely unknown in that general area and, well, located easily accessible at forest roads and only a few hundred meters from a local public road. That´s Austria... ;).

Römaskogel-1 (04/05/2021 - teaser...)

Römaskogel-2 (!!!) (04/11/2021 - this was the day!)

Römaskogel-3 (04/17/2021 - some details)

Link to pdfs at my personal website, all in German...

Franz Bernhard

• Enjoyed 2

Wow! My German reading skills are minimal at best, but a little help from the internet for the bits I couldn't deduce and I see a new standard for trip reports!

I agree with you, it is amazing how different our Upper Cretaceous hunting spots are!

• Thank You 1

• 4 months later...

A trip to Weißenbachalm in northern Styria to find some rudists for comparative purposes:

Weißenbachalm - 08/07/2021 (external site, pdf, ca. 5.5 MB, in German)

Contains some excerpts of the literature, these are in English.

Enjoy!

Franz Bernhard

• Enjoyed 3