The bigger shark teeth from our PaleoPack. Meg? Mako?

Jess1313

Found these in our PaleoPack. I have no idea what the last one is. I'm thinking the first 3 pieces are Meg or Mako.

20210311_194959.jpg

20210311_195024.jpg

20210311_195043.jpg

20210311_195105.jpg

20210311_195133.jpg

10 minutes ago, Familyroadtrip said:

1. Meg 2. Hastalis 3. Meg 4. Hemi

Thank you! This is the first time I have heard the term "Hastalis". Would I be correct in saying it is an extinct giant Mako?

10 minutes ago, Jess1313 said:

Would I be correct in saying it is an extinct giant Mako?

It's currently understood to be an extinct white shark - very closely related to the modern great white if not its direct ancestor. They're commonly called "mako's" however, because we used to think they were indeed mako sharks.

• I found this Informative 1

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

8 minutes ago, ThePhysicist said:

It's currently understood to be an extinct white shark - very closely related to the modern great white if not its direct ancestor. They're commonly called "mako's" however, because we used to think they were indeed mako sharks.

Thanks for the info! Would this then be correct? 

Its only species is currently Cosmopolitodus hastalis, the broad-tooth mako (other common names include the extinct giant mako and broad-tooth white shark). It is an extinct mackerel shark that lived between thirty to one million years ago during the Oligocene to the Early Pleistocene epochs.

15 minutes ago, ThePhysicist said:

Would I be correct in assuming the hemipristis is a lower snaggletooth?

5 minutes ago, Jess1313 said:

Thanks for the info! Would this then be correct? 

Its only species is currently Cosmopolitodus hastalis, the broad-tooth mako (other common names include the extinct giant mako and broad-tooth white shark). It is an extinct mackerel shark that lived between thirty to one million years ago during the Oligocene to the Early Pleistocene epochs.

Common names aside, Cosmpolitodus hastalis is correct. As ThePhysicist mentioned the common name mako implies the Genus Isurus, which this species used to belong to but no longer does. Cosmopolitodus is the current assignment.

Yes, your Hemipristis is a lower tooth.

• I found this Informative 1