Middle Pliocene Formation Teeth ID

NevadaHunter

Hi all,

I found these teeth at the same locality as my last two posts. I have more images to follow of some complete phalanges I have found but for now I’d like some help with these teeth. One I think may belong to a camel as both Paracamelus and Camelops were found in this locality and the other I am unsure of. The possible camel tooth isn’t far below the bone line so maybe it was unerupted? 

Any ideas would be great. 

5285012F-A2BD-4D5E-AE47-ADF2F519B487.jpeg

AD9D3CC5-9361-4202-89C8-0A46D27ADBB1.jpeg

58061C2F-6CA4-4FFE-9E4E-2784E583A835.jpeg

4C9D7420-7C7E-42C0-91D4-AD08697A7F1B.jpeg

D73C20FE-5E2F-4586-9A6D-E4A2699B181A.jpeg

B6D96CBE-B4B0-4285-A37B-E744B365492E.jpeg

A5F63DCF-2F21-4F44-83B3-36E9BCBE20AB.jpeg

98DED2DF-8755-46FF-8185-C3847DCA4ACA.jpeg

Hi NevadaHunter,

I think the part you labeled chewing surface may actually be the root of the tooth.

Beautiful pattern on that last pic!

Cheers,

J

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

I agree with mahnmut.  That is the root.  Camel is a good guess for the other one, and yeah, the animal died young; the tooth is barely erupted.  As for the difference between camel lower molars and other artiodactyls from the Nevada Pliocene... I am not familiar with them at all.  

1 hour ago, jpc said:

I agree with mahnmut.  That is the root.  Camel is a good guess for the other one, and yeah, the animal died young; the tooth is barely erupted.  As for the difference between camel lower molars and other artiodactyls from the Nevada Pliocene... I am not familiar with them at all.  

1 hour ago, Mahnmut said:

Hi NevadaHunter,

I think the part you labeled chewing surface may actually be the root of the tooth.

Beautiful pattern on that last pic!

Cheers,

J

Thank you guys for the input! I’m still learning about these sorts of fossils- never really tried searching any mammal localities prior to this. Unfortunately there’s not much information online to fauna specific to the Nevada and most academic studies I can find were poorly written back in the 50s era. 

Hello again.

Perhaps another approach to ID may help: Instead of looking for specific Nevada fauna, look for a list of pliocene species of the US, narrow down your candidates and then try to find out if they occurred in Nevada. Wiki might be a start.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Neogene_mammals_of_North_America

Maybe you already have narrowed them down. In that case I cannot help much.

Maybe tomorrow an expert on the forum comes along and tells you what your finds last meal was. Everything is possible ;)

Best Regards,

J

Thomas Henry Huxley

22 hours ago, Mahnmut said:

Hello again.

Perhaps another approach to ID may help: Instead of looking for specific Nevada fauna, look for a list of pliocene species of the US, narrow down your candidates and then try to find out if they occurred in Nevada. Wiki might be a start.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Neogene_mammals_of_North_America

Maybe you already have narrowed them down. In that case I cannot help much.

Maybe tomorrow an expert on the forum comes along and tells you what your finds last meal was. Everything is possible ;)

Best Regards,

J

Thank you again for the help! I have been able to narrow down what species were present in Nevada, but much beyond that it gets tough. I did find a researcher up in Idaho that specializes in western Miocene fauna so I’m hoping to build up a small collection before I try to pick his brains. 

Lucky you!

the best vertebrate fossil  could find around here was a partial deer tooth, probably rather subfossil.

Cheers,

J

Thomas Henry Huxley