2ynpigo

Windmill Site, West Of San Yisdro, Nm

2ynpigo

This post concerns the so-called "Windmill Site", a location for ammonites found within the Mancos Shale (Cretaceous) west of San Yisdro, NM. The windmill that is close to the site, and the site's namesake is located at:

35 degrees 33' 11" N, 106 degrees 59' 06" W. This is in the SW1/4, of Sect. 6, T 15 N, R 1 W.

Here is a picture of the windmill.

post-1365-1264287653962_thumb.jpg

2ynpigo

Here is photograph of the actual digging area located about 1/4 mile east of the windmill. This is looking to the north along a NW-SE hill slope. The ammonites are found free or in concretions just below the sandstone bed capping the top of the hill slopes in this area.

post-1365-12642878536096_thumb.jpg

2ynpigo

Example of an ammonite from the Windmill Site. This one was found at 35 degrees 33' 27" N,

106 degrees 59' 00" W. The first picture shows it as found. The second shows it after I removed it from the surrunding soil.

post-1365-1264288048634_thumb.jpg

post-1365-1264288063964_thumb.jpg

2ynpigo

Here are two other ammonites I found on the same trip.

post-1365-12642881421703_thumb.jpg

post-1365-12642881629215_thumb.jpg

2ynpigo

This ammonite I collected at 35 degrees 33' 36" N, 106 degrees, 59' 04" W. The first picture shows the type of bare slopes that make for good hunting. The second picture of the ammonite is of it in-situ. The third picture shows the other side of the ammonite after I removed it from the surrounding soil. Note the piece of concretion attached.

post-1365-12642883954609_thumb.jpg

post-1365-12642884098287_thumb.jpg

post-1365-12642884241835_thumb.jpg

Edited by 2ynpigo

2ynpigo

Aside from ammonites, there are fossil oysters and gastropods. Here is a picture of an oyster: Pinna sp.

Most of these other fossils are seldom found nicely preserved.

All of the specimens shown here were collected on January 11, 2010. So the "Windmill Site" is not depleted even though this site has been heavily collected for a decade.

post-1365-12642885641285_thumb.jpg

MikeD

Nice pictures from the field. Looks similar to some Cretaceous areas in Texas. Thanks for sharing.

Taxman56

Great Report and dead on GPS 2ynpigo.

I was there Sept 2011 and its appears to be pretty well picked clean. I did find one Ammonite and only 2 partial shells. But if it gets some heavy rains you might get lucky with something eroding out. Watch out for some of those gully's. One has a 10 ft undercut and is 20 feet deep at the head.

I met a local out there and he said that the Unv of Albuquerque brings its geo students out once a year. But there's a lot of beautiful open land out there and if you spread out you might get lucky.

Just the view from the top of the ridge is worth the ride out there. The dirt road is pretty good for 14 miles till you reach the gas compressor station and then its an unimproved clay road. Lots of wash outs and it will turn to DEEP MUD if it rains.

And best of all you can see nothing for 30-50 miles in all directions and yet I still got a phone signal and 3G's. Could be coming from the Indian reservation.

2ynpigo

I heard it's been hit hard recently. In the old days, ammonites were quite abundant at this location and at another site located south of the tank (cow pond) that is west of Ojito Spring. This 2nd site is a continuation of the same rock unit as the windmill site. Unfortunately, the 2nd site probably has been hit even harder than the windmill site by the local gem and mineral club.

If one follows the same stratigraphic unit to the north of the tank, it may be possible to get into another good area.

2ynpigo

And yes, you are right about the road if it gets wet. This is not a place to go during a rain storm.

I also do not recommend going to this area during the summer unless you can carry a lot of water.

Edited by 2ynpigo

ceeann1

Ok, we where there, at the windmill site ( 35 degrees 33' 27" N, 106 degrees 59' 00" W) more or less. This last Saturday Nov. 24, 2012. We found no ammonites but we found numerous imprints. We where happy to find them so we didn't go home empty handed. We had some difficulty getting to the site but ended up going in on the Cabazon road and finding it just fine. We tried to follow the Hi-Lines from Rio Rancho at first and dead ended at a locked fence line.... Sigh... but we got there a couple of hours latter than we wanted. Nice day for a thanksgiving weekend... in the high 50's and only a light breeze... about 10 miles an hour. Next time we find actual Ammonites! LOL... have a good day!

2ynpigo

Ceean1,

The best route to the pipeline road would be to take Cabezon Road heading west. Cabezon Road is aboout 2 miles south of San Ysidro. It is about 10 miles on Cabezon Road to the pipeline road. There is a pumping station located at the intersection of Cabezon Road and the pipeline road.

lks

Visited the site this past weekend. A bit chilly, but what a beautiful area. Just a couple of deep ruts on pipeline road that the Subaru handled fine. The windmill is located approx. 7 mi. from the intersection of Cabezon and Pipeline. Easy to spot. Look for a cattle/horse pen adjacent to it. Found pieces of a very large ammonite right off the bat, se of the windmill. Tons of large geodes too. Looking forward to returning to the site when it's a little warmer.

BillG

I visited this site yesterday and the Pipeline Road appeared to have been graded some and was in very good condition and dry from the Cabezon Rd intersection.

I did find a few bivalve fossils in relatively good shape but I need a better reference to identify them. They are 5/8 - 7/8 of an inch across.

One other thing I noticed in hiking around this area. Lots of people go there to shoot. I found empty cartridges and expended bullets some of which seemed to have just come to rest.

post-10492-0-20112500-1365869218_thumb.jpg

post-10492-0-32704700-1365869230_thumb.jpg

post-10492-0-51073200-1365869240_thumb.jpg

Taxman56

Missing scale but its a shark tooth

Auspex

...when I looked at it via the photo it appears to have a tiny bit of enamel on it. Approximately 3" by 2". Any thoughts? We were looking for ammonites and such and did find those too.

Is it enamel, or mother of pearl? I don't get a tooth vibe from it, especially given its dimensions (BIG).

Taxman56

Missed the 3 inch reference

lks

Thank you for the quick response. I hadn't thought of mother of pearl! It has to be magnified a lot to see it on the fossil and the light shines on it just right.

PFOOLEY

Just want to make sure, is this the correct location for the "Windmill Site"? I don't own a GPS.

Windmill

Edit: Search the shale for nodules and concretions. Make sure you have fun while you are doing it...you won't find anything if you are not having fun.

Edited by PFOOLEY

Taxman56

i hope they fixed the road since last year. It was pretty rough. And no matter how bad you though it was, the roads north and east are 100 times worse

JVA

Any new word on this area or road?

PFOOLEY
3 hours ago, JVA said:

Any new word on this area or road?

Welcome to the Forum...last time I checked, both are still there...road was passable...good luck. :)

JVA

We went yesterday, drive was nice for even a corrolla, found 1 small concretion with shells, nothing else. Not sure if we were looking in the right place, noticed the electrical field when we parked under the lines. Was neat.

PFOOLEY
2 hours ago, JVA said:

We went yesterday...

It was a great day for a fossil hunt. :) 

2 hours ago, JVA said:

...found 1 small concretion with shells...

Pictures? 

2 hours ago, JVA said:

...Not sure if we were looking in the right place...

There are many fossiliferous horizons in the Mancos shale...lots of patience and wandering are required. :)