Phacopida Asteropygin, non described species

grg1109

This is a photo(color photos in the hand) of the specimen I found.  Middle Devonian, Tully Limestone, Central NYS.  I was told that it was a Phacopida Asteropygin, non described species, and was sent this other photo (non color) photo.  I would like to get the id name straight.  This is a quote from the preparer: "Greg trilobite was almost prepared we are another time in lock down... snarge... but in any case let me know if u wanna restoration parts were skin was missed.... i can resto in high quality but i need to find a good metacanthina to copy missed skin or medium quality apoxie and paint".  I asked him to rather leave it natural.

Thanks

Greg

thumbnail (2).jpg  thumbnail (3).jpg

Order Phacopida Family Acastida Sub family Asteropygin 1.jpg

It will be a Greenops. As to which species, let me tag @GerryK as he is the sine qua non of NY asteropyginae. There are no Hollardops or Metacanthina in North America (we do have a Neometacanthina that was later reassigned as Bellacartwrightia). 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Ok, Great!  Those two names have been suggested to me before...but, no consensus had been made.  The way I posted the photos...I can now see the differences in the "spikes" along the rear...so not the Phacops either.

Thanks so much

Greg

And you won't find Phacops here! Those were reassigned. It used to be based on Phacops latifrons from Germany. There are now no Phacops in North America.

In your material, the most likely suspects are Eldredgeops rana and Greenops sp. :look:I'm hopeful that Gerald will be by shortly to give you his input on which species of Greenie you have!

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

The trilobite in your hand looks like a Greenops but I can not be absolutely sure without a good picture of the cephalon. The whitened trilobite from the Tully LS. is an undescribed species and the genus is neither a Greenops nor Bellacartwrightia and needs to determine if it is a described genus or a new one.

The "white" one is the one sent to me as an id of my Trilobite by someone on another forum.  The photos above which include the hand were sent to me by the prepper of my Trilobite.  When I get my Trilobite back from the prepper's, I can show better photos.  Below are photos that I took before I sent it off to be prepped.  From the "tail spikes", I don't think mine and the white one are the same...but could be wrong. 

Greg

20200926_114610 (3).jpg

Order Phacopida Asteropygin (2).jpg

This is the original photo that was sent to me as identification...I'm not sure where the 3rd(whitish) photo came from?  My mistake.

Greg

122441449_10219093296786758_6230824619989258669_n.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got my Trilobite back.  The guy wanted to do restoration work on it...but, I declined.  I love it!!!  Approx. 1 1/2" long and approx. 7/8" wide.

Greg

20210331_173511 (2).jpg

20210331_173524 (2).jpg

20210331_173537 (2).jpg

20210331_174304 (2).jpg

20210331_174312 (2).jpg

Edited by grg1109
  • Enjoyed 1

That's a really nice specimen, you are right, it's better as it is than with restoration.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Would like to have a definite id.  I really like that it seems to be "walking" across the sea floor.

Greg

Someone in another forum has helped me to "straighten" things out a bit.  I thought "Phacops" was a shortened nickname for Phacopodia.  This person id'd the specimen as Greenops barbari.

Greg

5 hours ago, grg1109 said:

Someone in another forum has helped me to "straighten" things out a bit.  I thought "Phacops" was a shortened nickname for Phacopodia.  This person id'd the specimen as Greenops barbari.

Greg

Phacops is a genus in the trilobite order Phacopida

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)