First blastoid, petoskey stone, and stromatoporoid of the year

Blastoid

Lise found the first blastoid of the year at Arkona, during last weeks spectacular warm spell. She also found the first Petoskey stone, though there was very little of Lake Huron’s shoreline free of snow and ice. I, however, found a stromatoporoid. An interesting piece, from a chunk of armour stone, quarried from somewhere or other. A spectacular ice nugget was also found.

F7231762-6DBE-4310-8023-3D51EFFCD0EC.jpeg

D793F572-7C1A-49AC-9326-E4357B26237A.jpeg

7E7F4AC5-BFCE-4EC0-A865-419A227BCC06.jpeg

7A9BB556-F251-4086-8C80-6CDF0A4905F4.jpeg

• Enjoyed 6
Wrangellian

Nice finds! :envy:   I haven't managed to get out to collect this year yet, and this is only aggravating the itch.

What causes an 'ice nugget'? Chunk of ice tumbled by the waves?

Blastoid

Yep. We enjoyed watching them thrown out by little “ice volcanoes”, or blowholes, where wave action and/or meltwater has penetrated the thick snow-ice pack on the beach. A good ice volcano can be ten feet high and spew water ten feet in the air, when the right wave hits.

FossilDAWG

Very nice blastoid, Blastoid!  :wub: I always keep an eye out for those on my infrequent visits to Arkona, but I have only ever found one.  Do you know what horizon that one came from?

Don

• 5 months later...
Bill Hoddson

I'm so glad I saw this post.  I was recently in a debate on Facebook on finding "Petoskey stones" (Hexagonaria) outside of Michigan.  If I had seen your post, it would have sealed my argument about them being found in other geographic areas.

• 5 weeks later...
Bob Saunders
On 8/23/2021 at 2:00 PM, Bill Hoddson said:

I'm so glad I saw this post.  I was recently in a debate on Facebook on finding "Petoskey stones" (Hexagonaria) outside of Michigan.  If I had seen your post, it would have sealed my argument about them being found in other geographic areas.

Found in Illinois, Indiana and Wisconsin. The line runs from part of Missouri to more so part of West Michigan. 

• I found this Informative 1