New Microscope Camera!

JamieLynn

Got a new "toy" for my birthday! I was wanting an "upgrade" from my Celestron (which has been quite good - but was a little lacking in some respects) and thanks to the FF members input, I decided to go with the Hayear 14 MP HDMI microscope camera.  It was  just over twice the price of the Celestron but is much higher resolution (and much easier to capture multiple focus images for stacking). I still like the Celestron for my "picking through matrix" - but I am super excited about getting some better, higher res pics! Interestingly, in comparison, some of the Celestron pics are still better sharpness than the Hayear! And, the Hayear will only go as large as 1/2 inch so anything bigger than that and I will go back to the Celestron. So I will continue to compare and contrast. hahahhh!! Here are a couple of photos of some of my littles that I am pleased with how they came out! 

Central Texas Cretaceous 

This starfish Madreporite is right at the upper edge of size - It is 12mm and there was about 1 mm space on either side

476863649_madre(2).thumb.JPG.87d9ee45987b4be16bc20319d53f46f4.JPG

A 9mm Crab Claw Pagurus banderiensis

611110988_crab5.thumb.jpg.bd887caaad67f06cecbbfb1ccab03375.jpg

a 4 mm Crinoid Isocrinus annulatus

1238313305_CrinoidB.thumb.jpg.b17c75ff5cf55e4a5c7ff91a49b8cf15.jpg

Aurora North Carolina Cretaceous

A little Cat Shark 4mm

682428754_catshark.thumb.jpg.c927ab1698a5221b323edf70ad53fff9.jpg

An Echinoid Tubercle 3 mm

echies.thumb.jpg.4b5d30b5b0fa994ae77d3ae3ec0dbbd1.jpg

A Ray tooth or dermal? 3mm 

1464428008_rayderme.thumb.jpg.fc19c560ea2c87ad24266e082d0bb60f.jpg

1925298057_raydermw.thumb.jpg.d140dcd086d14cbd43e9e0fabcab7e72.jpg

Some Fish Verts 3 mm

verts.thumb.jpg.d4502b38165e4483599397e822373423.jpg

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 10

17 minutes ago, JamieLynn said:

Nice photo. It’s a skate tooth.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

Yup. +1 for skate tooth. I play with my Hayear scope nearly every day picking fine (1/20") micro-matrix. Maximum field of view is around 27mm so not so great for larger specimens but really nice when picking fine matrix with the video connected to a large flat-screen monitor.

Cheers.

-Ken

Now that's a birthday present.  :D

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Wowee, that's a present and a half! Lucky you! I'm looking to get a new microscope for my birthday, too... ;)

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

52 minutes ago, Gramps said:

Beautiful photos. What program did you use for stacking?

I use one called Picolay - it was a free download program developed by some guys in Germany. It's been quite good. I have stacked up to 8 images at a time and I suspect you could do more. 

Very cool Jamie! Glad you like your new toy, and it looks to be working well. Great photos of such small specimens! :thumbsu:

• Thank You 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Nice pictures. Is the one you bought a microscope all in one or a camera to mount on your own microscope? 

5 hours ago, Bob Saunders said:

Nice pictures. Is the one you bought a microscope all in one or a camera to mount on your own microscope? 

It was all one set. The microscope is a single eye piece and the camera screws onto the top.

Hi, I just got a new electronic microscope too with  a digital camera. I am currently looking at micro gravel from a river in Kentucky. In 1 tsp I have found about 500 microfossils, crinoids of all kinds.....would be glad to share some with you or anybody! I will send pics when I start with the new equipment. Thanks for sharing. Sue

1 hour ago, Susan Slater said:

Hi, I just got a new electronic microscope too with  a digital camera. I am currently looking at micro gravel from a river in Kentucky. In 1 tsp I have found about 500 microfossils, crinoids of all kinds.....would be glad to share some with you or anybody! I will send pics when I start with the new equipment. Thanks for sharing. Sue

Are you offering to share some of the micro gravel matrix or your pics of your finds from the micro gravel? :) I'd be interested in trading some matrix with you! Send me a PM! 

Nice present !

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Drop her a PM so you two can discuss the arrangements privately and exchange postal addresses. Well-packed flat-rate postal boxes work well (and offer tracking). It is generally wise to pack matrix in zip-top bags inside other zip-top bags so that if the box is handled roughly (very heavy large flat-rate boxes seem to suffer some righteous abuse along the way) then none will pour out. I've received boxes of matrix that have been split open on the bottom and the plastic is the only thing that prevented critical hull breach. ;) Smaller flat-rate boxes should still have the matrix sealed in bags just in case but they tend to arrive in better shape.

Micro-matrix picking is a wonderful (and often overlooked) sub-realm of fossil hunting and it is great fun to share interesting and productive matrix between like minded fossil hunters with the technology to pick through it. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 2

• 2 weeks later...

If you want high resolution AND "action", not just still images, 

I would recommend combining eye piece of a binocular (10x) rotated and attached to a cheap digital recorder with 60x, 40x zoom.

Works very well. Here is how it looks:

https://youtu.be/y3YW9RV0T6E

On 3/27/2021 at 3:31 PM, KOI said:

If you want high resolution AND "action", not just still images, 

I would recommend combining eye piece of a binocular (10x) rotated and attached to a cheap digital recorder with 60x, 40x zoom.

Works very well. Here is how it looks:

https://youtu.be/y3YW9RV0T6E

Good idea, although I do not currently have a digi-cam. last weeks thrift store find. Had to make a minor repair. BINOCULAR,   Bfull  12 x 50   field 8.2   Bak-4 prism inexpensive all plastic but the glass seems very nice.  I noticed that he used a variable focus eye piece instead of the fixed one normally comes that way and taped it so that the outer eye lens faces the object and cannot be manually focused. Since it has a threaded mount for a tripod I may make a spotting scope with the rest of it.                                         

On 3/15/2021 at 2:10 PM, JamieLynn said:

Got a new "toy" for my birthday! I was wanting an "upgrade" from my Celestron (which has been quite good - but was a little lacking in some respects) and thanks to the FF members input, I decided to go with the Hayear 14 MP HDMI microscope camera.  It was  just over twice the price of the Celestron but is much higher resolution (and much easier to capture multiple focus images for stacking). I still like the Celestron for my "picking through matrix" - but I am super excited about getting some better, higher res pics! Interestingly, in comparison, some of the Celestron pics are still better sharpness than the Hayear! And, the Hayear will only go as large as 1/2 inch so anything bigger than that and I will go back to the Celestron. So I will continue to compare and contrast. hahahhh!! Here are a couple of photos of some of my littles that I am pleased with how they came out! 

Central Texas Cretaceous 

This starfish Madreporite is right at the upper edge of size - It is 12mm and there was about 1 mm space on either side

476863649_madre(2).thumb.JPG.87d9ee45987b4be16bc20319d53f46f4.JPG

A 9mm Crab Claw Pagurus banderiensis

611110988_crab5.thumb.jpg.bd887caaad67f06cecbbfb1ccab03375.jpg

a 4 mm Crinoid Isocrinus annulatus

1238313305_CrinoidB.thumb.jpg.b17c75ff5cf55e4a5c7ff91a49b8cf15.jpg

Aurora North Carolina Cretaceous

A little Cat Shark 4mm

682428754_catshark.thumb.jpg.c927ab1698a5221b323edf70ad53fff9.jpg

An Echinoid Tubercle 3 mm

echies.thumb.jpg.4b5d30b5b0fa994ae77d3ae3ec0dbbd1.jpg

1464428008_rayderme.thumb.jpg.fc19c560ea2c87ad24266e082d0bb60f.jpg

1925298057_raydermw.thumb.jpg.d140dcd086d14cbd43e9e0fabcab7e72.jpg

Some Fish Verts 3 mm

verts.thumb.jpg.d4502b38165e4483599397e822373423.jpg

Looking great!

One of the tricks I use for stacking is placing a scope calibration slide or grid next to the specimen...makes stacks much easier, and can easily be edited out