Suggestion, clean or leave alone?

tom_mo

Hello-

My son and I recently found this Tully Monster.  I am wondering what everyone's thoughts are on cleaning this, and what approach may be best?  I have cleaned jellyfish and some other white calcified looking material from these types of concretions using vinegar for a few minute soak, but have heard that it may not be a good idea since it removes some of the material that helps define the imprint.

The Tully we have was found in two different scenarios.  The first image, the side was facing down in the dirt a the top of a hill.  The second was found face up in a pile of leaves at the base of a hill. 

The side with the darker green black seems to be the one with the most potentials for cleaning but I am no expert so wanted to check to see if we are better off just leaving the sides as is.

thanks in advance,

-tom 

IMG_8750.JPG

IMG_8751.JPG

• Enjoyed 2

You found each half at the top and bottom of a hill? That's lucky!

I'm not sure about cleaning these, I had that same concern about some of the details being lost, but this one may be a candidate for cleaning if it's not done too aggressively. I would say if the white areas do not help to define the fossil then they can go. I'll leave it to the Mazon experts here to fill you in on that.

Hi,

@Nimravis

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Yeah I agree, we were pretty lucky to have found the other side. The concretion actually fractured on the back side of the larger half so there were three pieces in total we found.

-tom

Now I am not telling you to follow my direction, and others might disagree, but if it was mine, I would soak the worse looking piece in vinegar for a little bit and brush with a toothbrush. I would then rinse it off and let it dry and then I would take a look at it and repeat if necessary. There are only a few pieces that I would not do this too, but again, if it was my find I would. If that side comes out nice, I would do the same on the other side. Sometimes that green staining does not come off. I will tag @RCFossils and get his opinion.

BTW- nice find.

• I Agree 1

18 hours ago, Nimravis said:

Now I am not telling you to follow my direction, and others might disagree, but if it was mine, I would soak the worse looking piece in vinegar for a little bit and brush with a toothbrush. I would then rinse it off and let it dry and then I would take a look at it and repeat if necessary. There are only a few pieces that I would not do this too, but again, if it was my find I would. If that side comes out nice, I would do the same on the other side. Sometimes that green staining does not come off. I will tag @RCFossils and get his opinion.

BTW- nice find.

Would you use straight vinegar, or diluted?

2 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Would you use straight vinegar, or diluted?

I would dilute it a little bit, but I have also put things it was straight vinegar and left it for a couple minutes and brushed it under running tapwater and it has worked for me. But it’s always better to try it with diluted vinegar and water first.

• I found this Informative 1