Need help identifying

Monkeyking

Hi everyone. I am new to the group and would like to ask for some help in identifying this fossil.

To my eyes it looks like a cephalopod but never seen one this big. Can some one help?

I found it along Etobicoke creek. Any help would be much appreciated

.20210315_165531.thumb.jpg.68a2d31919f243e36f81bd25e1289e66.jpg  20210315_165548.jpg

Hello and welcome.  I don't think it is a cephalopod  Or a fossil.  Concretion of some sort is my guess.  

• I Agree 1

My first reaction was a quartzite with regular bedding. But that bedding is awfully regular, as in near-equidistant, which is odd.  

Is there any wa you can get a hi-res photo of a section of the side shown in the lower photo and the narrow end (end on)?

ETA:  Where is Etobicoke creek?

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

8 hours ago, Monkeyking said:

Hi everyone. I am new to the group and would like to ask for some help in identifying this fossil.

To my eyes it looks like a cephalopod but never seen one this big. Can some one help?

I found it along Etobicoke creek. Any help would be much appreciated.  

Orthocone cephalopods could definitely get that big, and bigger. 

However, due to the diagonal nature of the lines, I think you are looking at a water/sand worn stone, and not a fossil.

• I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

4 hours ago, hemipristis said:

ETA:  Where is Etobicoke creek?

Greater Toronto Area (southern Ontario, Canada), Georgian Bay Formation (Upper Ordovician). :)

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Unfortunately, it looks geological to me... 

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

Before you would pitch this (just a rock), think about cutting into one of the ends and seeing if it might show a siphuncle. For some reason, I still get a very very worn cephalopod vibe. If the orthocone was buried and distorted by the pressure of the debris above, the angled nature could easily occur. I once found many large cephalopods in a new housing development that exhibit this. 

Mike

Mike is correct. You do indeed have a piece of an orthoconic nautiloid, albeit considerably water worn.  To be more specific it is a piece of a siphuncle of àn endocerid nautiloid.  These nautiloids were often very large, and they had massive siphuncles that are commonly the only part that is preserved.  The diagonal lines are the connecting rings, formed where the septa join the siphuncles.  They are kind of like suture lines but on the inside.  You can see a bit of a remnant of the cameral chambers on the left.  These are not very thick as the siphuncle was close to the ventral side of the shell, as the siphuncles functioned as a weight to keep the animal on the sea floor (these were probably not active swimmers).  The cameral chambers were larger on the dorsal side but they were also more fragile and so usually were broken as the empty shell rolled around on the sea floor after the animal died.

Don

• I found this Informative 1