How has Big Brook been as of late? Additionally, do you have any fossil hunting plans for the Spring?

Suchascenicworld

Suchascenicworld

Hey everyone,

this is kind of a 2 in 1 post, but I thought it was appropriate. Spring is coming, vaccines are being rolled out, and while we are nowhere near the finish line, I am feeling hopeful for Spring and last week (at least up here in North Jersey), the weather gave me a sense of renewal! 

Anyways, I haven't been to Big Brook in awhile (last fall?), primarily due to my work schedule but my first question involves how things are going over there? I know that the area remains to be popular, but I am not sure if there has been a surge in activity over the summer and as a result, has impacted "the experience" (either due to overcrowding, lack of fossils, etc). With that being said, have you been there lately? How as your experience? 

My other question is more broad, but I just wanted to ask this amazing community here in and around the Garden State, that given what I said earlier...with Spring coming, do you have any personal fossil hunting trips planned out for yourself and/or loved ones? What do you plan on doing and are you looking forward to it?

Fingers crossed that after a rather unforgiving winter with rise in COVID cases and nasty weather...we can all wake up early, grab a taylor ham, egg, and cheese sandwich, and ride off to explore some of our favourite fossil hunting spots for a nice trip out! I hope you are all doing well! 

Regards!

bedfordrn

Big Brook has always been good to me. Every trip I am still finding things. My brother and I have gone in November 2020. We also went in January 2021 (crazy cold, but still found teeth etc. in the unfrozen water) and recently in March 2021. March was much better since the gravel was less frozen. Things are definitely starting the thaw out. Wear waterproof winter gloves and get out there! I'm sure the warmer weather will bring more people which will mean less fossils.

Good Luck!

Edited by bedfordrn
Suchascenicworld

hey @bedfordrn! Thank you so much! It's pretty brave of you to go in January but I am glad you are still finding things! You are totally right about more people being there (and less fossils) so I am going to try to go next week! Have you found that you had to go further up or downstream? 

jeannie55

I’m not close to the Garden State, or I don’t think I am; however, I spent a little time in the Southwest corner of the Natural State and found some nice crinoid stems and a few things I’ve yet to identify. On our way home, we stopped out side of Mt. Ida and filled a five gallon bucket with crystals and quartz.  If the weather stays nice, my daughter is taking me north to the chalk formations in KS. It has been a long while since I’ve been up there, but When I was last there, I found some nice pieces. By the way, while fossil hunting Sunday, I found several chalk rocks with a few little fossils. One chunk that is purple chalk. I cannot find any articles that identify the existence of purple chalk in the chalk formation here in AR. Could be a geological freak occurrence. My granddaughter said, “don’t throw it away. It’s too pretty.” So the pretty purple piece of chalk has a home. Unless the purple is caused by like deadly minerals or metals or asteroid spray. 

I went to Big Brook this past Sunday. It was on fire. I mean the park was actually burning and you could not get to the parking area because the fire trucks were blocking the road. I saw smoke rising. That said, I'm sure the brook itself won't burn. 

Suchascenicworld

@Scylla...Wow, really?! That is unexpected news! I hope everything is fine and nobody was hurt! 

Really. I was heartbroken. My son and I at least spent the morning finding teeth, ghost shrimp claws, etc in one of the other Northern NJ streams and went to BB for an afternoon hunt. It did not look like any homes or people were in danger from the bushfire.

Suchascenicworld

@Scylla, hopefully the damage wasn't severe and I am glad that nobody was hurt and you and your son were able to find another spot. I have been looking for other places in North Jersey to check out out as well! If willing, I would love to hear about some of these other spots if you have the time! (I can send you a PM as well). 

bedfordrn

Honestly I have had pretty good luck finding stuff at all areas in Big Brook. I would say we find more sifting than surface scanning that is for sure. My brother and I do spend at least 4-5 hours there. So we do put in time. Some outings are better than others, but always bringing quality stuff home. 

JoetheJerseyGuy

First time out to Big Brook and first time fossil hunting ever.  I was in the brook and smelled smoke. Two guy passed me by and warned me to a brush fire very close by and called it to the Colt Neck fire department. Made it out to the parking lot and was filled up with truck and police. Saw fire on the way out. In the short time there I found multiple belemnitella.   Went back the next day and the fire spread further then I expected towards where I was at on Saturday. Found more belemnitella, still trying to get my first shark tooth.

Kurt Komoda

I intend to go and check it out tomorrow. I hope the fire was contained.

Suchascenicworld

hey @Kurt Komoda, Did you end up going? If so, can you provide an update on the fire situation?

Kurt Komoda

I’m here now! A few other groups here but they went to the other side of the bridge. Just got in the water and found something.

oh and if I hadn’t read this thread, I wouldn’t have known there was a fire. No sign of any damage yet.

Edited by Kurt Komoda
Kurt Komoda

Okay, I got my five for the day, so I’m done. I have no idea what area was affected by the fire, but I didn’t see anything. In other words, it’s business as usual here. Here was my take for the day. I’m going to need help id’ing the vertebra. I’ll create a post in the i.d. section.

C00E320C-DBB9-468D-A30E-2765A156DCAA.jpeg

Edited by Kurt Komoda
Typo
bthemoose

That’s an awesome and huge vert and some nice teeth too. Congrats!

• Thank You 1
Suchascenicworld

@Kurt Komoda! Great finds and glad things seem alright! It looks like a fish vert but I have no idea what species it could be, unfortunately. 

Kurt Komoda

Thanks! I’m back here today (I live only 30 minutes away) and I’ve taken one of the side streams. A LOT more tree falls off of the slope than the last time I was here which was....autumn, I think. 

C033E3B2-7920-4420-B9AF-0DFDD3A49F47.jpeg

Suchascenicworld

@Kurt Komoda, I will probably be going on Saturday with my partner but I might stop by on Friday again to check out different sections of Big Brook that I haven't been to in awhile (or at all). Good luck today! Let us know how it goes (and how busy it is as well!). 

Kurt Komoda

Well, got my five for the day. Nothing great but I’m happy. Took a lot longer than yesterday. Walked all the way over to the Boundary Road bridge and sifted in the gravel there. Yesterday I went just past the first fallen tree from the parking lot, walking towards Boundary Road. That’s where I found the vertebra and the 4 teeth, I think within an hour. 

Also picked up a piece of peacock coal. I usually find the stuff on the beaches of Jamaica Bay and Dead Horse Bay. I find iridescence hard to resist.

Good luck this weekend!

9152D4EB-75F7-4A9A-BDB2-58B5DB3E2BFC.jpeg

On 3/22/2021 at 1:17 PM, Kurt Komoda said:

Okay, I got my five for the day, so I’m done. I have no idea what area was affected by the fire, but I didn’t see anything. In other words, it’s business as usual here. Here was my take for the day. I’m going to need help id’ing the vertebra. I’ll create a post in the i.d. section.

Shark vert I believe. Similar oval ones are ray verts.

Suchascenicworld
1 hour ago, Scylla said:

Shark vert I believe. Similar oval ones are ray verts.

@Kurt Komoda and @Scylla...nice! 

• I found this Informative 1
butchndad
On 3/23/2021 at 1:57 PM, Kurt Komoda said:

Well, got my five for the day. Nothing great but I’m happy. Took a lot longer than yesterday. Walked all the way over to the Boundary Road bridge and sifted in the gravel there. Yesterday I went just past the first fallen tree from the parking lot, walking towards Boundary Road. That’s where I found the vertebra and the 4 teeth, I think within an hour. 

Also picked up a piece of peacock coal. I usually find the stuff on the beaches of Jamaica Bay and Dead Horse Bay. I find iridescence hard to resist.

Good luck this weekend!

9152D4EB-75F7-4A9A-BDB2-58B5DB3E2BFC.jpeg

i love Peacock coal.  Found my first piece at Big Brook last year and didn't know what it was  I then found a "ton" of it along New York Bay this winter.  The colors can be amazing

• Enjoyed 1
Kurt Komoda

Sadly, the iridescent colors are supposed to eventually fade away when exposed to air. I read that polyurethane spray can seal it in. I should try that on the many pieces i have.

• 3 weeks later...
Jeffrey P
On 3/22/2021 at 1:17 PM, Kurt Komoda said:

Wow! That shark vert is bigger than any I've ever found there. Congrats and thanks for sharing. 

• Thank You 1