Potomac River Fossil Sites

A.C.

Hey all, quick question. I am currently in school in the Harrisburg, PA region and am limited in trying to stay under an hour and a half drives for spots. I noticed some posts about shark teeth in the Potomac river but most of what I could find was that these sites are more near the D.C. area. I was wondering if anyone here knew if all of the Potomac had fossils to find or if it is strictly along certain areas of erosion off of the cliffs that the Potomac cuts through? 

I think either way over the summer I am going to try to end up at the Aquia formation but was wondering if I could potentially hit something up sooner. 

On 3/16/2021 at 3:03 PM, A.C. said:

Hey all, quick question. I am currently in school in the Harrisburg, PA region and am limited in trying to stay under an hour and a half drives for spots. I noticed some posts about shark teeth in the Potomac river but most of what I could find was that these sites are more near the D.C. area. I was wondering if anyone here knew if all of the Potomac had fossils to find or if it is strictly along certain areas of erosion off of the cliffs that the Potomac cuts through? 

I think either way over the summer I am going to try to end up at the Aquia formation but was wondering if I could potentially hit something up sooner. 

Is it just shark teeth you want or just fossils in general?

5 hours ago, EMP said:

Is it just shark teeth you want or just fossils in general?

I was thinking shark initially but am not against any fossil. Kind of more just looking to change things up from my usual sites.

• 1 month later...
On 3/23/2021 at 9:07 PM, A.C. said:

I was thinking shark initially but am not against any fossil. Kind of more just looking to change things up from my usual sites.

Kind of late, but based off your location I think it's safe to say none of the sites within 90 minutes of Harrisburg are really too different from any usual sites you might have. I know of one Cambrian site, but it's not very fossiliferous so keep that in mind. 

• I found this Informative 1

On 5/15/2021 at 12:21 PM, EMP said:

Kind of late, but based off your location I think it's safe to say none of the sites within 90 minutes of Harrisburg are really too different from any usual sites you might have. I know of one Cambrian site, but it's not very fossiliferous so keep that in mind. 

Thanks for the reply. Yeah was interested if the whole Potomac had teeth but does not seem to be the case.

27 minutes ago, A.C. said:

Thanks for the reply. Yeah was interested if the whole Potomac had teeth but does not seem to be the case.

Unfortunately, no. The teeth don't really start in earnest until Purse State Park, which is probably a weekend trip from Harrisburg. 

• I found this Informative 1