Gastropod? Speleothem? Rudist?

Mahnmut

Hello together,

I just remembered an interesting specimen I have had for many years, my uncle gave it to me when I was a kid. Unfortunately I have no information on its origin. It has some structures that may be diagnostic to the right eye though.

Some pictures of rudists I recently saw reminded me of its general appearance, but now looking at it again I wonder if it is a big gastropod columella. the reddish middle part marked in black is actually standing out much more than the flashlight-picture shows, with cavities left and right that may have connected behind before being covered in calcite. the lower left corner shows some structure, zoomed in on the second pic. there are also some bullet-shaped holes that look like negatives of belemnite rostra or maybe clam borings? (secon pic lower right)

Hoping for your insight,

Best Regards,

J

CIMG4359.JPG

CIMG4360.JPG

• Enjoyed 1

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

The structure on the bottom left of the photo looks a bit like sponge cross sections that I have seen?

• Thank You 1

• 1 year later...

Hi again,

as my uncle passed away some years ago and my aunt is going to move to another place, she asked me to look through my uncles collection.

I think I found a piece matching the one he gave to me so long ago. And it is a gastropod, I think?

Best regards,

J

P10803091.JPG

P10803081.JPG

• Enjoyed 1

Thomas Henry Huxley

The lower left side of your first specimen reminds me of a rudist valve in transverse section.

CIMG4360.JPG.ef5bd21063615af2119739b2bf448d62.thumb.jpeg.84bc4b8eee909a1a0991567860b03fb2.jpegurn_cambridge.org_id_binary-alt_20170302055139-72004-mediumThumb-S0022336016001530_fig4g.jpg.79461bc85330103fac33ca79aac8c4c0.jpg

Edited by abyssunder
  • Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Thanks @abbysunder, Looks like a good fit! Does the gastropod-like spiral form make sense then? I am quite sure the two pieces do at least come from the same place, the collection my uncle left consists of unlabelled subsets of finds from one holiday each +some bought pieces.

best regards,

J

Thomas Henry Huxley

Searched for spiral rudist, may be Caprina? France is a plausible location.

:zzzzscratchchin:

I know in Texas rudists are everywhere, but for me thats a first! Cool!

Thomas Henry Huxley

3 hours ago, Mahnmut said:

Searched for spiral rudist, may be Caprina? France is a plausible location.

:zzzzscratchchin:

I know in Texas rudists are everywhere, but for me thats a first! Cool!

France might be a reasonable location. Have no better ID than Requenia  ammonia, in this case (for the second specimen).

Edited by abyssunder
  • Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Thanks, @JohnJ, but I have no experience with that type of rudists. At least the internal structure does not look like a gastropod. @abyssunder may have nailed it down :dinothumb:.

Franz Bernhard

• Enjoyed 1

Thanks to all of you,

the rudist hint was what I needed.

Caprina seems like a really good fit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caprina

I know my uncle has been to France several times and he would not have brought back these big fossils from a more remote journey by plane.

There is another piece from the garden:

P1080318a.JPG

Thomas Henry Huxley

Just checked the rudists in my collection I found a big one (25cm) resembling yours. It looks that the Caprina adversa will be a good match. R. ammonia is tiny vs. C. adversa and has an operculum (like gastropods).

P10803091.JPG.bfe203b42567fe8ebd285beaa36cf122.thumb.jpeg.880fef9387b60e93db0c9c99c90a6903.jpeg

IMG_20220430_154524.thumb.jpg.798fc0ccda2a85a50dfbc2073047ca81.jpg

Edited by abyssunder
  • I Agree 1

Thomas Mann

My Library