Idiognathodus P1 element?

Bonehunter

I'm hazarding a guess as a P1 element of Idiognathodus?, or is it something else? seems a little wide for a conodont? Pennsylvania stark shale. Yeah or neigh?   Thanks!  Bone

982910946_unknownfishfossil.jpg.69b9467006468c515e09f6f3007d9e9e.jpg

Seems a reasonable ID. 

@jdp

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

what is a P1?  As a guy who collects fossil mammals, a P1 is an upper first premolar.  I don't think that is what you have in mind.  

@jpc, I hear P1 and think first phalange. Did that snow storm hit you? I heard huge of amounts in Cheyenne.

7 hours ago, jpc said:

what is a P1?  As a guy who collects fossil mammals, a P1 is an upper first premolar.  I don't think that is what you have in mind.  

My understanding is conodont "teeth" are classified, in part based on general shape and position in the "mouth" as  S, P and M,

S segments are subclassified into Sa, Sb and Sc. Then P is subclassified as Pa and Pb.

I don't believe, but I am not sure there is any connection to the dental formulas that are standardized in mammalian species.     Bone 

7 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

@jpc, I hear P1 and think first phalange. Did that snow storm hit you? I heard huge of amounts in Cheyenne.

Believe me, I was also initially (and still :) ) confused, but I understand a little better now-you have to look at this separately from any other animal description. The "teeth" segments are specifically arranged in the mouth and each is labeled accordingly-quite extraordinary in some species!.......many more to follow!    Thanks for looking!!! Bone

Thanks for this info.  

Yes, we got 23 inches of snow (65 cm).  School was closed for two days (it would have been three days if the kids had school on Sunday).

• 2 years later...