Fake root at this carcharodontosaur tooth

Hello all,

I think I wasted my money.  Please try to check if the root of this tooth is completely fake? 

I see the top of the tooth was added with to the end of the tooth but the root is some king of stone?

Thank you.

Best regards.

IMG_0517.JPG

IMG_0520.JPG

IMG_0521.JPG

IMG_0523.JPG

IMG_0525.JPG

IMG_0526.JPG

IMG_0527.JPG

IMG_0529.JPG

IMG_0530.JPG

Edited by Alvaro

Boy a lot is going on this tooth which is a red flag to avoid since its difficult to properly diagnose.  The preservation is not the best which has led to loss of enamel on the crown and a somewhat eroded root.  Probably found in peices and poorly reassembled.  The replacement tooth dimple on the root as well as the similarity in preservation between root and crown makes me believe its not a composite.  Signs of patch repairs on crown and root

• I found this Informative 1

What makes me think that perhaps the root is authentic is that on both sides of the tooth the root has a depression as can be seen in the attached photo. 

Maybe the new tooth leaves that mark on the root of the old tooth when it comes out? Or has that depression been made by a human with a machine?

In the photos these two depressions on both sides of the root of the tooth are not as good to see as in reality.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

Edited by Alvaro

That's what I said, the replacement tooth depression is present why it's one of the reasonsit might be real.  It's typically never added on fake roots.  Honestly I would be very cautious buying this tooth.  Too many possible issues that cannot be seen on photos without holding it under a UV light.

• I found this Informative 1

Yeah, this looks like a whole bunch of separate pieces that were made into one thing. Big oof.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

To me, it looks like all parts of this tooth are real. For the crown this seems quite obvious, but I agree with @Troodon that there's something to be said for the root being real too. I once bought a Carcharodontosaurus tooth with fake root (was lucky enough to be able to return it), and that root looked almost made up out of sand, with little (read: no) anatomical detail applied. So, I think this root is real.

Even with all parts being real, though, the tooth is very iffy, and seems to have been stuck together from many loose parts. Whether these parts originally belonged together is hard to tell.

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett