I think i found a megalodon tooth

Adelina13

Hello everyone,

I am new here, and i was brought by the fact that I found on the Black Sea side (Romania) a tooth (i think). I have it for 5 days, and it started to break,so please,  first i need help understating what it is, and  then , how to preserve it ... thank you in advance for your help :)

20210314_203202.jpg

20210314_203144.jpg

20210314_201804.jpg

20210314_201759.jpg

20210314_201732.jpg

16161806378922388760010481047746.jpg

• I Agree 1

No expert but don't believe that's a tooth. With no enamel that I see and the spongy interior looks to me as bone. From what I can't say.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 2

+1 for bone :)

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

As stated before, this is a piece of bone, not a tooth.  Maybe someone else here on the forum can tell what kind of bone.

There are two main reasons it is falling apart: it was full of water and is drying to fast.  And it contains salt from the seawater. So maybe you can preserve it by putting it carefully first in fresh water without salt. let it soak for a day, change the water. Then you can use wood glue (the white kind, PVA). mix the glue with water till it is like milk, and let it soak into the bone.

That is the simple way that may help to stabilize it. For improtant archaeological finds from saltwater, archeologists often spend month to get the salt out and use different chemicals for preservation. But this may work for your bone.

Best Regards,

J

• I found this Informative 2
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

As others have suggested, I think this is a chunk of mammal bone. The flaking brown color looks like someone covered it in lacquer or paint. Not certain though.

• I found this Informative 1

18 minutes ago, Mahnmut said:

Hello and welcome to the forum.

As stated before, this is a piece of bone, not a tooth.  Maybe someone else here on the forum can tell what kind of bone.

There are two main reasons it is falling apart: it was full of water and is drying to fast.  And it contains salt from the seawater. So maybe you can preserve it by putting it carefully first in fresh water without salt. let it soak for a day, change the water. Then you can use wood glue (the white kind, PVA). mix the glue with water till it is like milk, and let it soak into the bone.

That is the simple way that may help to stabilize it. For improtant archaeological finds from saltwater, archeologists often spend month to get the salt out and use different chemicals for preservation. But this may work for your bone.

Best Regards,

J

Thank you very much for the time that you took to explain and help me. 

They are expanding the Black Sea beach side and i was really excited when i found it in the "new" sand :), and google lens didn't really helped when it said it is megalodon tooth...

We will keep in mind your advices and try to preserve it, it's kinda extraordinary to find things like this, and it gives us a taste of new hobbies . Thank you again! Wish you all the best! 

• Enjoyed 1

Very welcome.

I do not think the brown colour is artificial by the way, bones from the Rhine river often do look similar.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

2 minutes ago, jdp said:

As others have suggested, I think this is a chunk of mammal bone. The flaking brown color looks like someone covered it in lacquer or paint. Not certain though.

The place where we found it, new sand brought by authorities from the bottom of the black sea, didn't really gave us this idea, that someone else could've cover it in paint and throw it... 

• I Agree 1

Welcome from Romania, Timisoara! :)

I agree with the others. There are no Megalodon teeth in the Black Sea, unfortunately. You have a nice bone fragment there.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

3 hours ago, Adelina13 said:

The place where we found it, new sand brought by authorities from the bottom of the black sea, didn't really gave us this idea, that someone else could've cover it in paint and throw it... 

It may be an older object or artifact. I don't think someone painted it yesterday and threw it there. For all I know, it's possible it is an artifact that is hundreds of years old. It just does not seem to be a fossil.

• Thank You 1

I took more pictures in natural light. The difference between this and the first ones, is that now it has a layer of something on it (my bf tried to preserve it with something) and now shines more ...

Thank you all for your help :)

20210320_100344.jpg

20210320_100228.jpg

20210320_100216.jpg

20210320_095935.jpg