Krantz fossils show off

sander

Dear forummembers,

In my collection are two old Krantz Squalicorax pristodontus fossils, and with their old labels and old box they sure look quite interesting.

I was wondering who else has old fossils from Krantz, maybe it would be nice to see other old Krantz fossils in their original boxes and with their old labels.

There is also a catch to this however. The one on the right mentions it is from Ciply and is No.50, but there is no number to be found and the matrix tells us it is acutally from the Nekum Mbr of the Aachen-Maastricht-Liège area, and not the Mons basin. So my hopes are to find tooth No.50 from Ciply and swap the labels. Or to see from which locations Krantz sold fossils from the Aachen-Maastricht-Liège area in order to estimate where my piece might have been found. 

But apart from that, this topic is open to all ex-Krantz fossils, and I am curious to what will be shown here in the future.

Kind regards,

Sander

CIMG5417v2.jpg

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 5

Hi Sander,

It's always interesting to see old labels with fossils.  I'm not familiar with Dr. Krantz.  How long ago were these labels printed?

I have a few fossils from the early days of my own collecting.  I have "Malick's Fossils" labels from the late 80's.  I do have a tooth that was collected in England in the 1880's but it didn't have a label from then with it.

I hope you find more information.

Jess

I guess the Fa. Krantz doesn't belong to the vocabulary of most American collectors, although it was one of the very first German dealers in fossils and minerals and is still going strong to this day. I don't have any in my collection, but Frank posted one recently in the Steinkern Gallery. As a matter of fact, it was the 10,000th post, which was a goal which we had recently set for ourselves and reached in record time thanks to numerous contributions over the past couple of months.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Hi Jess and Ludwigia,

@siteseer

There used to be a nice article on the mineralogical record on the krantz labels, but unfortunately the page won't load anymore.

here is some other information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_August_Krantz

the firm started in 1833, but the first labels mention A. Krantz. 

The labels mentioning Dr. F. Krantz (like mine) were first printed in 1891. 

Because the mineralogical record website wont load anymore I do not know until when they continued using these old handwritten labels. Eventually they changed to labels written using type machines, but I think that was only after the second world war.

Sometimes there is a date mentioned on the labels, but not this time unfortunately. 

My oldest find was found in 1853 by the way, but I'll start a new topic on everyone's oldest labels some other time, since this topic is intended only for Krantz fossils (of which I presumed there should be many haha)

@Ludwigia

I saw that one indeed, here is some more info:

https://www.catawiki.nl/l/10020203-very-rare-fossil-fish-beryx-antiquissimus-historical-collection-of-dr-krantz

I have been to Folkestone several times and the Gault clay is Albian in age, not Turonian as is mentioned on Steinkern.de.

However, when you walk to the east into the warren/East Wear Bay and further on there is chalk, so perhaps it is from there. The thing is that I can't really see the matrix on this specimen.

if it is grey and clay it is Albian, if it is chalkboard chalk white it could be Turonian or younger. if it is light grey chalk it is probably Cenomanian.

Kind regards,

Sander

• I found this Informative 2