Future fossils being made in Icelandic volcano eruption.

DPS Ammonite

See amazing live video of volcano eruption in Iceland. As the flow goes over wet meadows, steam happens. I would imagine that underground creature will be trapped and become fossils in the future. 

You can rewind it a few hours and see the flow progression, helicopters and scientists probably collecting fresh lava samples. Note at least 5 people next to flow at bottom of detail photo.

https://www.ruv.is/frett/2021/03/20/beint-vefstreymi-fra-eldstodvunum

52ED0F3F-7270-4BF0-8F5C-104DE4F02C17.png

05EAD5AD-31D2-4C94-9C0D-33C1F0D57D5E.jpeg

F87304F8-068D-4E6F-A04B-EA8F72C5822A.jpeg

On 14:23, March 21st the right wall of the crater collapses send a flow down the side.

BD561695-1AA9-4EF9-9D60-249F7A56BF84.jpeg

Edited by DPS Ammonite
  • I found this Informative 5
  • Enjoyed 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Either lots of geologists are needed to sample lava from the  erupting volcano in Iceland or the locals really like the latest craze: lava toasted marshmallows—mmm!

60179231-F48D-4297-A032-30058B77236B.jpeg

Who do you think is going to win this game of Red Rover? Some of them almost look like they are on fire.

A28BF48A-4F2A-4F50-B6ED-A88A9E81E1A9.jpeg

Edited by DPS Ammonite

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

The Iceland volcano has consumed another webcam. 
See it’s last moments.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rGu5m8QAYnU

I was expecting a burst of lava to land on it or a stream of red lava to just engulf it but still cool to see the volcano

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Amazing 18 day time lapse video the of eruption.

https://kottke.org/21/04/an-18-day-time-lapse-of-the-fagradalsfjall-volcano-in-iceland

Edited by DPS Ammonite
  • Enjoyed 3

On 3/21/2021 at 7:07 PM, DPS Ammonite said:

Either lots of geologists are needed to sample lava from the  erupting volcano in Iceland or the locals really like the latest craze: lava toasted marshmallows—mmm!

60179231-F48D-4297-A032-30058B77236B.jpeg

Who do you think is going to win this game of Red Rover? Some of them almost look like they are on fire.

I think Marshmallows it is.

I heard in a documentary that Icelanders joke about being the only people that rush towards an eruption as a rule, at least when its one of the slow kind.

Cheers!

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley