Shell fossil or imprint?

Partyjam3

Found this in the same stream I found the bone in Apopka FL I see the shell on one side but it’s weird on the other

21606088-2C1B-46E5-8936-682AD14F14F9.jpeg

9EE623E2-EFA1-4F42-AE9B-6672CB7D6EF1.jpeg

This is most likely the internal cast of one half of a bivalve. The shell was buried and filled with sediment, which then lithified, before the shell material dissolved, leaving this imprint.

Edited by Norki
  • I Agree 1

10 hours ago, Norki said:

This is most likely the internal cast of one half of a bivalve. The shell was buried and filled with sediment, which then lithified, before the shell material dissolved, leaving this imprint.

Oh you means like the other side are the bore remains of other invertebrates scavenging the shell for edible proteins. 

It looks like the internal mold of the bivalve has borings on both sides, especially on the flat one. Entobia could be a possibility. Better pictures could reveal more details.

Edited by abyssunder

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

6 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

I like this diagram. Where did it come from; the link leads to photo of a steinkern.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

@DPS Ammonite, University of Houston, Story of the Earth, Chapter 6. Sorry!! I thought I had cited this but must have grabbed the wrong thing.

• 6 months later...

I think this is an actual fossilized part of a bivalve shell that has tunnels (Entobia trace fossils) bored by some marine creatures. See, for comparison: Entobia-snail-1.jpg