A Few Of My Fossil Mammals

Fruitbat

Here are a few of the mammal specimens that I've collected over the years:

Mammuthus1.jpg

Mammuthus molars from Dallas County, TX[/i]

miscoligo2.jpg

Various Oligocene mammals from Nebraska/South Dakota/Wyoming

oreodonts1.jpg

Various oreodont skulls (plus a few miscellanous rhino teeth and one of my daughter's pink headbands that mysteriously appeared in the picture

perissoshelf1a.jpg

Oligocene rhinoceros stuff with a few loose Protapirus teeth thrown in for good measure

pleisto1.jpg

Pleistocene odds and ends from the Dallas area. The weird looking thing slightly to the right of center is a partial Canis dirus skull - the only one collected in this area.

pleisto3.jpg

Various Pliocene and Pleistocene horse stuff from the Dallas area and the Panhandle of Texas (with one Florida piece tossed in for good measure).

Hope you enjoy the pictures.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

WHA!! those are amazing! did you find all those skulls!?!? and those massive teeth and jaw segments are awesome! post more... post more!! :D

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Joe

Your mammoth tooth is about the best I've seen in Texas. Most of what I find are river worn enamel fragments. Occasionally I find a few enamel plates still cemented together, but one day I'll be hoisting a good mammoth tooth, my personal Holy Grail. The sloth claws and mammoth tusk sections I found last year will hold me over however until the big old cinder block mammoth tooth comes to hand.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

• 2 months later...

WOW, nice stuff! Where in the dallas area did you find those teeth?? I didnt think Dallas had that kind of goodies.

Thanks for the kind words!

jax...the Dallas area has lots of 'goodies' if you know where to look. All of the Pleistocene stuff comes from the Trinity River terraces...mostly from sand and gravel pits. The Trinity used to be a considerable river back in the Pleistocene...unlike the pathetic excuse for a river that most people driving around downtown Dallas see today. In fact...what most people see of the Trinity is actually not the original riverbed at all. It used to run right through what is now downtown Dallas but a man-made channel was constructed a long time ago to re-route it. You don't find any Pleistocene stuff in the new channel (obviously).

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Thanks for the info Joe, Like you said, the Trinity is pretty nasty near Dallas. I almost have to hold my nose to drive across it sometimes. Im not sure where I would want to enter that river to hunt. probably farther south. I have my eyes on a few creeks in Dallas county that could be fruitful.

THanks again

Justin

Wow!!! Not sure how I missed this thread, but you truly have some wonderful fossils. It would be super interesting to sit around a campfire with you and listen to some of your fossil stories.

RB

It would be super interesting to sit around a campfire with you and listen to some of your fossil stories.

RB

Ditto that! (True, too, of all the Forum contributors).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Is the skull with the pink hair band the one I see occasionally in the forum header?

Guest N.AL.hunter

Your table is way too cluttered ... clear some of them off and send to N.AL Hunter at...... :)

Great finds and good work, Joe. I see many stories sitting on display!

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Archived