Tiny tooth from the Cotswolds, UK

IsaacTheFossilMan

Hi all! Most of you will know me as an invertebrate person, but, recently, I found something that may change my view! I was splitting some Jurassic Cotswold limestone, and I found a tooth. A tiny tiny tooth, which I believe to be a shark(?). In other chunks of the matrix, I found scales, and other hints to vertebrate life. It heavily fluoresces under UV light, and has these gorgeous lines along the flat crown. To the bottom right of the tooth, there is a partial mold of a brachiopod, which is pretty cool! 

Ancholme Group, Callovian - Oxfordian (166.1 - 157.3 mya).

As a sister question to the ID, I would like to know if I should dissolve the rest of the matrix I found it in, to find more teeth from the same creature?
If anyone could help with either question, I would be much obliged! Thanks all!

P1310990.JPG

P1310996.JPG

• Enjoyed 1

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

Hybodont shark tooth, I believe. 

@Archie  @jdp

• Thank You 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

51 minutes ago, AndyW said:

Planohybodus sp 

Ooh, it looks like it! Should I dissolve the matrix? Or will it break?

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

In my opinion, a tooth in matrix - its home - is much more appealing than a tooth without matrix.

If you like to dissolve other pieces of limestone, please notice, that even vinegar will etch a tooth during prolonged exposure.

Franz Bernhard

• I Agree 1

1 minute ago, FranzBernhard said:

In my opinion, a tooth in matrix - its home - is much more appealing than a tooth without matrix.

If you like to dissolve other pieces of limestone, please notice, that even vinegar will etch a tooth during prolonged exposure.

Franz Bernhard

Right. Will there be any more teeth in the matrix, do you think? Thanks for the tip - I'm glad I didn't learn that the hard way!

10 hours ago, IsaacTheFossilMan said:

Will there be any more teeth in the matrix, do you think?

I have no experience with this material. It depends on how abundant teeth are in general in this formation. And if they tend to be concentrated in "pockets" in this formation. Maybe some of the UK members have experience with this material? Do you have any literature about teeth in this formation? Just to get an idea about the general abundance of teeth there, possible "pockets", etc.

Franz Bernhard

• Thank You 1

5 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

I have no experience with this material. It depends on how abundant teeth are in general in this formation. And if they tend to be concentrated in "pockets" in this formation. Maybe some of the UK members have experience with this material? Do you have any literature about teeth in this formation? Just to get an idea about the general abundance of teeth there, possible "pockets", etc.

Franz Bernhard

Gotcha. I'm new to this vertebrate stuff, so if any UK members would care to help, I'd be very grateful! Any links to papers would also be much appreciated, cheers!