Exotic Megs Set Complete

BellamyBlake

With the addition of Italy, I'm calling my exotic Megs set complete! There are some really rare ones like Japan and Germany missing, so while I'll keep an eye out for localities I don't yet have, this set is essentially complete after a year of acquiring teeth from around the world and I'm very happy with it!

There were some here that were acquired from members, and others yet that members found for me. I thank everyone who contributed in one way or another!

20210323_185710.png

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 11

Fantastic! I like especially to see the world-wide variation of this species - wow!

And very nice idea with the labels - great!
Franz Bernhard

That's a nice display, Bellamy.  You might find a meg that isn't too hard to get from Virginia and Chile.

Jess

21 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Congratulations! I'm still hoping for a good German one as well, but they're pretty rare.

19 hours ago, Nimravis said:

Great collection- congrats.

16 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

Fantastic! I like especially to see the world-wide variation of this species - wow!

And very nice idea with the labels - great!
Franz Bernhard

10 hours ago, Gizmo said:

Very nice, congrats!   :thumbsu:

10 hours ago, Guns said:

Nice display ! Congrat man !!

Thank you everyone! :)

3 hours ago, siteseer said:

That's a nice display, Bellamy.  You might find a meg that isn't too hard to get from Virginia and Chile.

Jess

Thank you Jess! Indeed I have a Virginia, but I had to remove it to make room for the Italy haha. A bigger display is needed, and I'll expand localities thereafter

On 3/24/2021 at 6:25 PM, Troodon said:

Great variety thanks for sharing.  Great labels

Thank you Frank :D

• 1 year later...

That's insane! I can only think of Belgian and Oregonian teeth as ones you're missing and didn't mention. Great collection!

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/9/2022 at 5:54 PM, DardS8Br said:

That's insane! I can only think of Belgian and Oregonian teeth as ones you're missing and didn't mention. Great collection!

Thank you! Belgium is in the back row, third from the left, little hard to read given that the label is obscured. I didn't know Oregon had Megs, that's exciting and I'll have to keep an eye out!

On 9/28/2022 at 6:18 PM, BellamyBlake said:

Thank you! Belgium is in the back row, third from the left, little hard to read given that the label is obscured. I didn't know Oregon had Megs, that's exciting and I'll have to keep an eye out!

I think the Oregon megs have come out of the Astoria Formation.  I saw a paper on Miocene shark teeth (Squalus) and marine mammal remains from the Montesano Formation in Washington.  I would think megalodon occurs there too.

There are multiple formations in California for megs besides the Round Mountain Silt (found in the lower and uppers parts of that formation with different preservation).  I have a tooth from the Upper Santa Margarita Sandstone (Scotts Valley area) and I've seen them from the Olcese Sand (Miocene), Monterey (Miocene), Topanga (Miocene), San Mateo (Pliocene), Purisima (Pliocene) and San Diego (Pliocene).  If you poke around on the FF, you might see photos of some of these. 

On 9/30/2022 at 6:15 PM, siteseer said:

I think the Oregon megs have come out of the Astoria Formation.  I saw a paper on Miocene shark teeth (Squalus) and marine mammal remains from the Montesano Formation in Washington.  I would think megalodon occurs there too.

There are multiple formations in California for megs besides the Round Mountain Silt (found in the lower and uppers parts of that formation with different preservation).  I have a tooth from the Upper Santa Margarita Sandstone (Scotts Valley area) and I've seen them from the Olcese Sand (Miocene), Monterey (Miocene), Topanga (Miocene), San Mateo (Pliocene), Purisima (Pliocene) and San Diego (Pliocene).  If you poke around on the FF, you might see photos of some of these. 

I've seen megs from Moolack Beach, which has Astoria formation exposures so that checks out. I've also heard of teeth from the Fernando (Pliocene), Tirabuzón (late Miocene, early Pliocene), Niguel (reworked from Topanga FM), and Capistrano (late Miocene, early Pliocene) formations.