TheNavesinkNinja

Hey everyone, newbie here, coming to you from beautiful Camden County, New Jersey.  I was incredibly interested in paleontology as a kid; I was lucky enough to to go out west to Dinosaur NM, Como Bluff, Fossil Butte, etc.  Pretty sure I went to Big Brook too, I remember finding some sponge bored oyster shells and not much else. But that interest faded as I got older, as most childhood hobbies do.

Fast forward 30 years, I got Covid last December and spent a month on the couch. With endless time on my hands, for whatever reason I stumbled upon Mindat.org and started looking at local minerals (Vivianite, Strunzite) etc... which led to local fossils.  I again became fascinated with the local geology and stratigraphy. Thanks to the awesome info here, as soon as I was able I was out looking for specimens - armed with the Rockd app, some geo and topographic maps, and a big pair of boots.

I can’t say I’ve found anything remotely as nice as some of the stuff you guys have posted, but I have found some things. I’ll try and post some pics this weekend if I get time to do some resizing. The thrill of the hunt is amazing, so is staring back in time and having the same feeling of wonder that I had when I was 10 years old.  Just wanted to drop in and say thanks to everyone for sharing your knowledge and collections, you’ve helped me tremendously, and I look forward to talking about NJ geology and Cretaceous sea life with you all!

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1

Welcome.  :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Welcome from Colorado

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the fossil forum! I am a Jersey resident as well and have been fossil hunting for years so let me know if I can be of any help! Also, if you are interested in local geology...I absolutely recommend getting the Roadside Geology of NJ by David Harper! It is an absolutely wonderful book!

26 minutes ago, Suchascenicworld said:

Welcome to the fossil forum! I am a Jersey resident as well and have been fossil hunting for years so let me know if I can be of any help! Also, if you are interested in local geology...I absolutely recommend getting the Roadside Geology of NJ by David Harper! It is an absolutely wonderful book!

Thanks! Are you in North or South Jersey? Most of my hunts have been down south here in Camden and Gloucester counties.  I will order that book right now! 

hey @TheNavesinkNinja,

No problem! I am in North Jersey (Morris County) but it is really interesting that you brought up Camden and Gloucester counties! My best friends (who are also fossil hunters) live down in Woodbury Heights and we have been looking around Gloucester. My PhD is in Spatial Ecology so I have actually been mapping out prospective areas (ultimately to try to come up with a predictive map) and I have already tagged a few places that may be of interest! Send me a PM if you would like to compare finds/notes because I would happily share that with you! :-)