Found this online, something feels off about it

KompsFossilsNMinerals

Found this online, something about it seems off. If anyone could help me find out if it's fake I'd appreciate it.

5U8A8793-2_d3cd032f-acc6-487e-be01-631c93ac212d_331x@3x.progressive.jpg

Carving. Walk away! Apart from the sloppiness of this carving, note how there are five pleurae on the left, six on the right. :wacko:

• I Agree 3

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

24 minutes ago, Kane said:

Carving. Walk away! Apart from the sloppiness of this carving, note how there are five pleurae on the left, six on the right. :wacko:

Wow, I hadn't noticed that! What makes it even worse is that they claim it's authentic :shakehead:

Sadly, this is more often the case than one would think. :( But, you’re here with us now, so when in doubt let us have a look!

• Thank You 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Compare that to real ones,

480-million-year-old trilobite 'traffic jams' may reveal ancient migratory  behavior | Science | AAAS

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

On 3/25/2021 at 1:55 AM, Top Trilo said:

480-million-year-old trilobite 'traffic jams' may reveal ancient migratory  behavior | Science | AAAS

I think there's a lot of paint on these. 

On 3/25/2021 at 1:55 AM, Top Trilo said:

What the heck is that? Is there some sort of behavior behind this arrangement? Is it an unique arrangement or are more examples of this type known?

On 3/25/2021 at 12:24 AM, KompsFossilsNMinerals said:

What makes it even worse is that they claim it's authentic

The two upper ones could be authentic. Someone got the idea not to trim down the specimen, but to create a third, highly sought species on the same plate....

Franz Bernhard

• I Agree 1

2 hours ago, Kane said:

This one made headlines a while back:

Wow! Thanks so much! 

Franz Bernhard

3 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

What the heck is that? Is there some sort of behavior behind this arrangement? Is it an unique arrangement or are more examples of this type known?

The two upper ones could be authentic. Someone got the idea not to trim down the specimen, but to create a third, highly sought species on the same plate....

Franz Bernhard

Hi Franz, thank you for your insight on the original "specimen". Ampyx Priscus' have been discovered in these "conga line" patterns, and I think I even wrote a blog post about it a couple months back, which I'll link below. 

https://thingschrisfindsinteresting.blogspot.com/2020/10/trilobite-conga-lines.html?m=1

• I found this Informative 1

What bothers me is the preservation. Maybe there's different layers? I don't know. But I'm sure the preservation of the real ones is depicted in f, g, i and j in the article (Figure 1) and pic bellow.

image.png.883e17826283c662407751a6889b6435.png

Edited by aeon.rocks

• 3 weeks later...

Yikes that first one in the original post looks awful... :DOH:   Glad you asked and skipped this one, OP.