Unusual organism-tendrils?

Bonehunter

Again cleaning conodonts in Stark shale member and came upon this- it is elevated about 1-2mm and has what appears to be long "tendrils" or flagella like projections. I hesitate to try to clean this- it looks like a "carbonized" film over what ever it is and I will destroy it if I try....... any thoughts welcomed!!! One of the more unusual fossils, and the only one I've found. Untouched- the lines are not cleaning scratches-exactly how it appeared upon splitting the shale. I don't believe they are fissures/cracking-all of those are straight or parallel that I have seen....interesting eh? Thanks!

Bone

Tendrils.jpg.0cb3818eef57904d952f40ab65878666.jpg

I wonder if the tendrils could actually be cross sections of a material which delaminated from the core object.

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

I wonder if the tendrils could actually be cross sections of a material which delaminated from the core object.

Ahhh!- good observation!!!. Thanks!  I think I will radiograph it to see if there is any "structure" to it.........   Bone

Interesting. I don't know what it is but see faint laminations parallel to the centre line, and maybe running off towards the right.

131250834_Screenshot2021-03-26at13_09_06.thumb.png.24c3194908d64970694174f85a888e32.png

Tarquin

13 minutes ago, TqB said:

Interesting. I don't know what it is but see faint laminations parallel to the centre line, and maybe running off towards the right.

131250834_Screenshot2021-03-26at13_09_06.thumb.png.24c3194908d64970694174f85a888e32.png

Agreed!- there's also seems to be some symmetry at "11:00"-two angled structures pointing towards midline of the object-I will annotate tonight. Thanks!!!!  Bone