Fossilized Walnut? egg? Sea life, I have no idea?

Susan Slater

Hi I found this sphere near Nelson Ledges in Ohio. It is almost a perfect sphere but has a small dividing ledge at the circumference. About two inches. Very hard. I really have no idea, just know it’s a fossil. Sue

64BFC9C5-5FC6-4E0E-9175-3A8A937CBA70.jpeg

4E6EFB26-18D4-45AA-90D3-485BB0A4B812.jpeg

DC98DA0F-CE12-4334-BE66-3D11ABEE1290.jpeg

BDFC8BFF-40F2-4491-995B-E2B156B3EE47.jpeg

E926BB54-CCD4-4B3F-A731-9099CAD2901C.jpeg

C9A7C937-88B7-4931-A20F-7CFFF6072166.jpeg

Are you sure it's not metal?  It looks like an old mill ball or grinding ball commonly used for many industrial activities.  2" is a common size.  Try applying a magnet.  

• Thank You 1

14 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

Reminds me very much of

Moqui Marbles (link to wikipedia)

In other words, it looks like some sort of

Concretion (link to wikipedia)

Franz Bernhard

Thanks Franz that is exactly what it looks like. I have to laugh at myself I think everything is a fossil. Better stick to Lake Erie sea life. Sue

31 minutes ago, Susan Slater said:

I have to laugh at myself I think everything is a fossil. Better stick to Lake Erie sea life. Sue

Always better safe then sorry :DOH: Would rather pick up a rockosaurus then leave something behind to only see it later here, or worse a museum!

18 minutes ago, Sjfriend said:

Always better safe then sorry :DOH: Would rather pick up a rockosaurus then leave something behind to only see it later here, or worse a museum!

Thanks so much for the kind words I have more unusual what nots I will post later. Hugs.

1 hour ago, Susan Slater said:

Thanks Franz that is exactly what it looks like. I have to laugh at myself I think everything is a fossil. Better stick to Lake Erie sea life. Sue

It is always good to laugh at yourself! It keeps us humble. The first time I went on a dino dig (I had previously only been on archeological digs), I flagged some similar, perfectly round concretions out in Wyoming - thinking they were musket balls. After one of the site paleontologists told me what they were, I went back to collect them (just because I thought they were cool) and pull the flags. What was even funnier is one of the round objects was very, very light. I bet you can guess what that one was! :D 

• Enjoyed 1