Raptor skull?

This is absolutely not a "raptor" skull. 

For comparison, this is the holotype skull of Velociraptor mongoliensis at the American Museum of Natural History:

IMG_5512.thumb.jpeg.ce7b9a2a85a0e56ce95b23a8620de157.jpeg

... and a skull from an exceptional specimen of Saurornitholestes langstoni (UALVP 55700), another dromaeosaurid/"raptor":

1257926425_ScreenShot2021-03-26at3_02_58PM.thumb.png.b1615b4f4308ea769042280ceb6fa79d.png

Edited by ThePhysicist
  • I found this Informative 1

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

As far as I know, the majority of the bedrock in Finland is much too old to contain dinosaur fossils, and anyway most of it is granitic or metamorphic. There are hardly any sedimentary stones, with the exception of some Quarternary outcrops, which are too young for dinosaurs, in your country. Besides, I agree with the others that this is just a rock, so you don't need to bother with the next step.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Pareidolia is an fascinating human phenomenon where our pattern recognition software in our brains works overtime to allow us to see various animals in cloud formations or faces in rock profiles. You are picking up on subtle queues that are tricking you into seeing eye sockets and skull shapes where there are not. You've seen photos above of what real raptor skulls look like. The bone texture is quite distinctive. Add to that the fact that your local rock exposures are not of the proper age to contain dinosaur fossils is another good reason why your rock is what we affectionately call a "faker". Florida was underwater during the age of dinosaurs so we know we can discount anything that is mimicking dinosaur fossils.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareidolia

Cheers.

-Ken

The OP has Utah in the tags, was this rock for sale as a raptor skull?

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Let's hope not. I'd hate to think of anybody wasting good money on something that is not anything but a suggestive rock. :SadSmile:

Cheers.

-Ken

• I Agree 1

Broken OP's link :(

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

8 hours ago, digit said:

Let's hope not. I'd hate to think of anybody wasting good money on something that is not anything but a suggestive rock. :SadSmile:

I don't know... Although it might sound harsh, and I definitely would not want anybody spending their hard-earned cash on something like this, there's quite a difference for me between a blatant fake like this, and a piece that may even give experienced collectors and palaeontologists a hard time discerning. That is, someone willing to buy something like this thinking it is a real skull obviously hasn't invested the time and effort learning about what they are about to buy - which raises issues about their investment with other areas of stewardship over such a fossil, including proper care and handling (if not about the motivation of such a purchase in the first place). Not that I mind people learning from their handling of more common fossils, but having the money to buy a skull but not the expertise does not imply you'll be able to give a rare fossil like this the proper care. In that case, I think you'd be much better off with a replica...

Anyway, I take OP's effort to come here for additional information as a very good sign of willingness to learn and educate themselves. With time, I'm sure they will succeed in finding their absolute dream skull (I know all too well, I'm still looking for my perfect ichthyosaur :P), but for now I think it's still time to keep on learning :)

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

The OP mentioned a next step and now I guess he meant buying, so the rock probably isn't from Finland but purportedly from Utah. It would be nice if he would respond, since he's had a good number of opinions by now.

• I Agree 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

This item is indeed for sale. Unfortunately the platform doesn’t have an option for reporting something that simply isn’t what the seller claims it is. I’d hate to think anyone actually paid what they’re asking

edit, found a way of reporting under copyright/trademark infringement 

Edited by dhiggi

On 3/27/2021 at 4:21 AM, Ludwigia said:

It would be nice if he would respond, since he's had a good number of opinions by now.

He might be imbarrassed? 

RB

No need for embarrassment. The OP was correctly suspicious and had the right idea of checking with those who have deeper knowledge in such things before considering any purchase (if that was the motivation for the initial question).

Cheers.

-Ken

• I Agree 2

Given the offering price for this item which I just found up for auction on the inter-webber-net, I'd be surprised if any serious offers are made for this rock. It would be cheaper to buy a cast of this slightly suggestive rock made of pure gold. :shakehead:

Caveat emptor, let the buyer beware, surely applies to purchasing fossils online--especially when they are not from an established fossil dealer with a long history and solid reputation.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I Agree 1

3 hours ago, RJB said:

He might be imbarrassed?

Nothing embarrassing about learning ;)

• I Agree 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

On 3/27/2021 at 3:21 AM, Ludwigia said:

It would be nice if he would respond, since he's had a good number of opinions by now.

He rarely responds to his posts why I stopped answering them.

• I Agree 1

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

He rarely responds to his posts why I stopped answering them.

It can still be worth commenting to make for an informative thread for the larger community though. But it can be frustrating if people ask a question and then not bother to respond after that.

• I Agree 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

2 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

It can still be worth commenting to make for an informative thread for the larger community though. But it can be frustrating if people ask a question and then not bother to respond after that.

When questions are asked for clarification so that you can initiate a discussion and nothing happens its time move on

• I Agree 1

@heZZ 

The least you can do is thank people for the time they take to look at and answer your posts. 

It's a bit rude to post and then not respond in any way, shape or form.  :( 

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

He has not visited the forum since he posted this, so I do not think he just took the information and ran.

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Alas, that feeling of being treated like an on-demand mechanical service and not a human being. Not exactly good form. Moving on...

• I Agree 3

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer