One Of My Latest 'projects'

Fruitbat

This is a rhinoceros specimen (most of the right mandible and part of the left mandible) that I collected in the late Miocene Clarendonian fossil deposits in the Panhandle of Texas. We managed to get it out in a block of matrix that weighs in at about 40kg. Unfortunately there is some damage to a few of the teeth and the rami are missing but it is in reasonably good shape considering. Total length of the mandible is about 70cm or so.

Teleoceros80.jpg

It is likely from Teleoceros sp., a specialized 'hippo-like' rhinoceros that was relatively common in its day.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

That is a killer fossil for TX, Joe. One day I'd like to aspire to finding even one isolated rhino tooth.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Guest N.AL.hunter

Show us more when you can. I love the idea of rhinos running around Texas. Of course, their horns would have to be a lot bigger than other rhinos (all things in Texas...). Makes me think of the plan by some scientist to re-populate the plains with extinct species. Just imagine it if they can do it!!

oh man....i was hoping you would post a picture of it when you told me about it.........it sure is a magnificant find! im sure its your "baby" :P!

i wouldnt mind coming hunting with you! seems like youve got some great honey holes for this sorta stuff!

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Archived