Theropod tooth - possibly Morrisons formation

Goldkaiser

Here is a lovely isolated theropod tooth from USA - the seller lacked all locality data,  although he believed it may have been from the Morrisons formation. 

This lovely tooth is just over 2.5cm long and has 15 serrations per 5mm on the distal side (DC) however serrations on the mid-centre off the medial side have not been preserved. It would be lovely to ID this to some level other than theropod if possible. Serrations on the mesial side only go down 2/3rds of the tooth. 

There is some restoration to the tooth - if any more photos would be beneficial please let me know and I’ll try and grab some.

megalosauid? Allosaurid? Tyrannosaurid?

F37CEF7B-2106-4519-B5BA-B8B5848F83BC.jpeg

EE5DF945-7EF1-42C9-A76A-19D1EB30C6B0.jpeg

E9BF261F-C107-4213-93CC-8A42C5570FBF.jpeg

10A9DAAF-D2BE-4261-B281-F678FF95CE5B.jpeg

6A3B6D19-BA5C-4388-827D-1E6902C00061.jpeg

ABCB4CE1-D92A-46AA-AFFA-9E08779C623A.jpeg

BC19CCC7-C1CF-4DC6-B1AC-9CBCF276D6A8.jpeg

ADB61084-AB29-4379-A893-4FF64238709A.jpeg

D1E0FE2A-D383-4CEF-9E27-1E8135BA27E3.jpeg

7AB7B57E-9DF6-4524-8E9F-1B2CF64D4214.jpeg

9531FD08-48F9-4059-9924-766C2D4ECC53.jpeg

Tooth looks like it's from the Morrison and if the serrations are 2/3rd of the mesial side most likely a Megalosaurid.  Can you measure serration density on the mesial carina since I can see they are present.

For future photos best not to use fingers but use some putty to hold tooth. 

40 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Tooth looks like it's from the Morrison and if the serrations are 2/3rd of the mesial side most likely a Megalosaurid.  Can you measure serration density on the mesial carina since I can see they are present.

For future photos best not to use fingers but use some putty to hold tooth. 

It’s hard to count as they’re slightly worn at the mid centre but having a closer look through a loop looks like 17 per 5mm approx

Will grab some putty for next time 

Thanks.  Without a provenance it's impossible to say for sure but has the characteristics of a Torvosaurus tooth.

• Thank You 1

54 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Thanks.  Without a provenance it's impossible to say for sure but has the characteristics of a Torvosaurus tooth.

Thanks, Think I’ll call it megalosauid for now but that would be amazing - shame no info on locality 

Edited by Goldkaiser

I don't like to disagree with troodon... he does know a lot about these, but I would avoid any putty for immediate contact with fossils.  Most of the ones I have seen leave some sort of oily or sticky residue.  That is my personal choice.  

39 minutes ago, jpc said:

I don't like to disagree with troodon... he does know a lot about these, but I would avoid any putty for immediate contact with fossils.  Most of the ones I have seen leave some sort of oily or sticky residue.  That is my personal choice.  

I use blu-tack for photos with little pressure and it works fine, it's not that sticky.  I avoid it on fragile items.  

• I found this Informative 1

12 hours ago, Troodon said:

I use blu-tack for photos with little pressure and it works fine, it's not that sticky.  I avoid it on fragile items.  

I have in the past as well, and as putties go, it does come off pretty nicely.  Even at the microscopic level.