Need Help With Venice Florida Find

Scuba

i am confused.  wasnt this same fossil shown in the post for the fossil Isle of  Wight.  Can some administrator help please.

This is my first attempt to post on a forum. I apologize if I made a error in the upload location. 

i am not sure where the mistake came from but it would be nice to get it corrected and I certainly dont know how to do that.  I dont know what you have found.  that internal structure isnt something I have seen before.  Can you photograph it from  all sides, particularly looking straight on to the internal surface?

44 minutes ago, val horn said:

i am confused.  wasnt this same fossil shown in the post for the fossil Isle of  Wight.  Can some administrator help please.

Maybe the Helium-Oxygen dosage was not done well? :D

• Enjoyed 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

14 minutes ago, val horn said:

i am not sure where the mistake came from but it would be nice to get it corrected and I certainly dont know how to do that.  

I came across this by accident, but was able to find the post you were talking about. 

Next time, just poke the report button, and let one of us know. That's how you fix it.  ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I've seen this image mix-match problem before, one of the mods explained it sometimes happens with a particular part of the software, although I don't remember what it was... Anyway, as I mentioned on the other post It appears to be tooth/tusk of some animal, probably mammal. I don't know if it is too partial but I'll tag some people who have more experience with these. @Shellseeker @Harry Pristis @Boesse

Can't help with the mod issues, but that looks like the broken root of a really large sperm whale tooth

• I found this Informative 3

6 hours ago, Scuba said:

I found this near Venice Florida. Can anyone help me ID this? Thanks

Scuba,

Welcome to the Fossil Forum.  It is a great place for fossil hunters and you happen to live in one of the best locations to find fossils.

Thanks for sharing photos of your find. I find it very unusual. As @GeschWhat suggests ,it might be tusk.

Here a back end of a Rynchotherium tusk and the layering would exist thru the entire length,

IMG_4662.thumb.JPEG.f400e751376e77175f7ca62861f7ff63.JPEG

@Boesse suggests butt end of a whale tooth, and he knows whale better than anyone I know.

Here are some interesting Florida whale teeth... Once again , note the layering

IMG_0939aTxt.jpg.b578d4712677327bbcdf35280c561455.jpg

WhaleMRG2txt.jpg.cb3b176fe9e391116a667eb49aa1298b.jpg

Two good options, but no certainty. Did you find this fossil on land? Scuba diving? Additional photos of the "ends" would help.   Shellseeker

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I collected this specimen offshore just south of Venice. My first though was whale tooth except for the square shape and the outer finish. Here are additional photos showing the layering. Thanks again for your input.

DSC07101.JPG

DSC07112.JPG

DSC07123.JPG

DSC07134.JPG

DSC07144.JPG

DSC07150.JPG

• Enjoyed 1

I don't think the cross-section precludes cetacean ID, and in fact, might actually strengthen it: big-toothed odontocetes like Orcinus have teeth that are anteroposteriorly flattened because they're really packed into the jaw, and we've got a football-shaped sperm whale tooth from Myrtle Beach in our collection that has a slight squared cross-section. It's a consequence of packing teeth that are too big into a jaw.