Dinosaur skin fossil?

Steak_Knife86

Hi, this was found in a dry wash in Phoenix, AZ.

It was pretty dirty and dusty before I cleaned it off. It has an odd shape, it’s angled and curved. 

Don’t have any other info really. It feels how I would imagine a dinosaur skin would be though... or maybe dragon.

9DF5B48C-8F6C-4326-8878-B5A3161D2818.jpeg  3722F959-451C-4491-9853-00D38B45B4CD.jpeg  6CB6FBA1-DAF6-44E0-84C8-47D7B3D7BCED.jpeg

E222B661-E375-4094-8133-39D19F3CDA57.jpeg  83B0B64C-A3D2-4882-97FF-397530E8B14D.jpeg  F026779E-9FA7-449B-8E35-07D84AED3459.jpeg  D9B253C6-A9A5-4814-BFA5-C09D93C56FD6.jpeg

This does not look like dinosaur skin or bearded dragon skin or skin from a leafy dragon, a komodo dragon or a dragon fly or an armadillo lizard (which looks like a dragon). I don't think this is a fossil at all but a cool geologic rock. Keep looking there are fossils everywhere

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 3

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

I'm just a lay person, but I've never seen anything like it.  It does not look geologic to me.  You know, like mud cracking or some surface material pulling away at a different rate from the substrate.  And then, looking at the back side, well, again, it does not "feel" geologic.  But I haven't seen every rock in the world, either.  Cool find.

• I Agree 1

The "elephant skin" dolomite is the closest suggested ID ive had, thanks for that. This does not have any other characteristics matching dolomite though, so I am still looking.

I have seen this on what I thought was limestone (could be dolomite), esp in desert areas... Wyoming, Utah, and Sahara.  Interesting weathering patterns.

Welcome to the TFF!

As someone who has hiked a fair amount around Phoenix I can say I too would have picked up that piece. I have seen some pieces similar but not that well defined. The ones I saw looked geologically based to me. With all the contact altered rock around the valley (igneous / metamorphic) there are some odd rocks around. One of my favorite areas to just rock hunt is by Lake Pleasent. I visit often as have a daughter in Phoenix. 

• Thank You 1