Pathological feature.? on centrum

DE&i

Although it is not uncommon for plesiosaur vertebrae to be wasted, even to the extent of what would appear to be the case when simply looking at the lateral view, the bevelling on both sides of the rim would suggest something else is indeed going on there, probably some kind of pathology. I'm thinking an intermediate stage of osteoarthritis, but will be the first to admit to not having any experience with pathologies.

That having been said, spinal fusion, and the diseases that cause them, are apparently not uncommon in plesiosaurs, following Sassoon (2018), "Spinal fusion in plesiosaurs: Congenital and late onset vertebral fusion in long necked plesiosaurs: The first report of spondylosis deformans in Sauropterygians".

Interesting specimen! :look:

• I found this Informative 2

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

I can't add anything to the reply. It does look like some form of pathology, although uniform in shape. Interesting that it comes from the Kellaways. Thanks for posting. 

So, curiosity is getting the better of me, and thus I must admit to not being familiar with Kellaways exposure :P

Darren, could either you or Paul please explain what this exposure is, where it's located, and what makes having found this vertebra there so special?

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett