Is this a fossil?

Stephen Tirone

Another "is this a fossil" question. 

Found in Slippery Rock Creek, in McConnell's Mill State Park, Pennsylvania. 

Looks to me like one of those old very old trees with the cross-hatched bark like a pineapple that I recall from my early childhood books. 

Am I way off?  Hoping the links below work.   -Steve

img 1 

IMG_8903.JPEG

img 2

IMG_9084.JPEG

I believe this is a carboniferous tree branch, likely Lepidodendron sp. due to the diamond pattern. And It is always best to directly upload the photos instead of links.

image.png.7c9f434f0ad6a81faafa1dc11e121f37.png

image.png.fe01f7579660c562bb67d11df97d0204.png

• I Agree 5

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Thank you for the quick reply, Top Trilo.  I was posting my question before I had joined the Forum, so it didn't let me upload anything -- not that I could see, anyway.  I see it is much easier now that I am a member.  Hopefully I will get a chance to post some more photos of other fossils in the future!  

Thanks again,

Steve

Second lepidodendron. Ist time I have every seen anyone on TFF mention Slippery Rock Creek and McConnells Mills. I grew up in Ellwood City Pa. My dad would take me fishing in the Slippery Rock Creek. Great small mouth bass fishing but I mostly got bait for my dad (crayfish) or we would seine  for helgrammites. In a few days I'll be 80 so this just brought back some memories. I still have a piece of stigmaria from the same area. Have you every hunted in the Vanport limestone?

• I Agree 1

I have not heard of the Vanport limestone, and I am not a fossil hunter, though I am now getting the bug!  We were hiking the SR Gorge Trail and paused at the creek just down from the Eckert bridge, and this fossil was just laying there, exposed.  Very cool.  Previous to this, I thought only small crinoids were possible around here.  

It was a beautiful day to be there.  Attached is a pic of the water at Walnut Flats. 

-Steve

wf.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

The greater Pittsburgh area should have a many different types of fossils from marine sediments to the ferns and other Pennsylvanian aged fossils. I am sure their is a fossil club in the area. That would be a good way to get started and find locations to hunt. It is a fascinating hobby because you never know what you may find and you are the first person to see it!. I just got back from NMB, SC where I found 2 fossil horse teeth Pleistocene, a sea urchin Cretaceous, a great white shark tooth probably Pliocene and a Quahog (Mercenaria) shell with some small blister pearls. First time I was able to hunt for many months. Was a lot of fun. Best wishes to you. Tom

Hello from a fellow Western Pennsylvanian! I agree with the Lepidodendron ID; they are quite common in the Pottsville Formation, which is the rock unit that Slippery Rock Creek cuts through in the park. 

• 2 years later...

Please keep in mind that it is against the law to remove fossils from the park. 

Edited by WPA_Carboniferous