Cambrian mystery fossil?

paleo.nath

I ordered this plate of trilobites a while back and just recently noticed something peculiar on the side of the rock, i’m pretty sure this is not a trilobite but it still looks somewhat organic, but i’ve got nothing. Any ideas!

52B4FA13-3045-41EF-BC78-09B16CC6C686.jpeg

I don't know enough about the Cambrian, but this looks like an insect wing. Very similar to cicada wings I've seen. The first known insect fossil is from the Devonian period, which was 419-359 million years ago.

But, I could be completely wrong and this is some really cool Cambrian fossil.

More Reading:

Fossils of Parks Township - ResearchCatalog | How-to Make High-Contrast Photos

7 minutes ago, piranha said:

Please show the associated trilobite.

DE2CA8C1-F531-450E-B2A7-DBE4010CC284.thumb.jpeg.1c7781af1800855d07d2f45e27651d76.jpegLooks like a Zacanthoides pygidium 

28 minutes ago, cngodles said:

I don't know enough about the Cambrian, but this looks like an insect wing. Very similar to cicada wings I've seen. The first known insect fossil is from the Devonian period, which was 419-359 million years ago.

But, I could be completely wrong and this is some really cool Cambrian fossil.

More Reading:

It reminded me of the veins in insect wings aswell! Although i’m sure that’s not the case haha

6 minutes ago, paleo.nath said:

Looks like a Zacanthoides pygidium 

Always a good idea to include as much info as possible. Then we can avoid useless speculation about Devonian insect wings! :P

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

There were fish in the Cambrian. Could it be a fish scale? A measurement scale would be handy. @oilshale

Compare to:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/113758-pennsylvanian-black-shale-finds/&do=findComment&comment=1257801

5BA38043-5382-4F16-A078-E5FFB484EB4C.jpeg

035BF112-E4D9-4861-9C90-4F4B580CCDC7.jpeg

Edited by DPS Ammonite

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Context is everything.

Glossopleura has terracing lines on the distal pleurae and the pygidium. Typically found together and significantly larger in size than Zacanthoides.

image.thumb.png.c96f694b9dd5284bbd97f9febebf6e66.png

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

13 minutes ago, piranha said:

Context is everything.

Glossopleura has terracing lines on the distal pleurae and the pygidium. Typically found together and significantly larger in size than Zacanthoides.

image.thumb.png.c96f694b9dd5284bbd97f9febebf6e66.png

Ohhhh okay that makes sense! Thank you very much

3 hours ago, cngodles said:

:o

My comment was not directed at you. It was intended to point out the necessity to include as much detailed info as possible when posting.

Otherwise we are all on a wild goose chase ... shortly after your post, a fish scale was suggested! eyepopping.gif

6 hours ago, piranha said:

My comment

I figured as much. Honestly I don’t like to question someone who includes a geologic age with a post, but it really looked insect-like. Bravo to your identification, clearly from a great store of information. :BigSmile:

Fossils of Parks Township - ResearchCatalog | How-to Make High-Contrast Photos