Mastodon and Mammoth Teeth?

Mikebhrndt2

Yeah, that looks like Mastodon. I'd think it's kind of uncommon to find a pure white Mastodon tooth. Where'd you find this at?

It is certainly not mammoth and without some type of scale I don’t know whether this tooth is one inch long or one foot. Very nice looking though. 

• I Agree 2

As ClearLake mentioned definitely not mammoth. Mastodon or Gomphothere are the likely choices although I don't know how to tell the difference between them. Don't fret though, I'm sure the Florida folks know. @Harry Pristis @Shellseeker @digit

Further info might be needed. Where was this found? What's the scale?

Looks like some of the gomps I see offered for sale from China

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

5 hours ago, hemipristis said:

Looks like some of the gomps I see offered for sale from China

@abyssunder had a nice, concise differentiator in a different TFF thread.

Posted March 21, 2016 (edited)

I also would choose the latter, because for me looks that there is a bunodont not a lophodont pattern characteristic for gomphotheres or the zygodont pattern of mammutids. Bunodont teeth consist of a certain number of cone-like elements arranged in several transverse ridges (loph(id)s). Also typical to bunodont teeth are cones (so-called conules) in the transverse valleys, blocking them in the middle part. The bunodont pattern is characteristic for gomphotheres, amebelodons and choerolophodons. In zygodont cheek the transverse ridges are transformed to sharp crests or ridges. The valley-blocking conules are reduced or lacking.

A Peace River Mastodon tooth:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/uploads/monthly_03_2011/post-140-0-71028500-1298993176.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

9 hours ago, Caaaleb said:

Yeah, that looks like Mastodon. I'd think it's kind of uncommon to find a pure white Mastodon tooth. Where'd you find this at?

This Mastodon tooth came from the Rainbow river , Florida.

473026584_RainbowRivertooth.JPG.af1e2345dbf282c7da1e49dcb1dc16c5.JPG

• Enjoyed 2

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

9 hours ago, ClearLake said:

It is certainly not mammoth and without some type of scale I don’t know whether this tooth is one inch long or one foot. Very nice looking though. 

It is about 2.5 X 3 X 5/34.  Unfortunately I do not know where it was found.  I have just acquired some fossils from my Grandmother and trying to find out all the information I can. Thanks for the help.  

It has the look of a Chinese gomphothere, but that's weak evidence.  Gomphotheres are a large group of species, and China is blessed with some of them.  But, the tooth has some resemblance to a Florida representative as well.  Without the source of the tooth, we may not be able to identify it beyond "gomphothere."

gomphothere_chinese_pair.thumb.JPG.3672781b1550b9007736f667a4d32f66.JPG

gomphotherepair.jpg.dbb982318436cddacc61292cf09d490f.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest