Fossil or geologic

Top Trilo

I was looking through some of the rocks I have collected over the years and came across this one, appears to be an ordinary rock but with a strange fracture, it doesn’t look like a rock that would hold a fossil and the shape doesn’t remind me of anything which is why I’m pretty sure it is just a crack in the rock but I thought it odd that it was symmetric, since I am not 100% sure it’s a rock I thought I’d ask here scale is in mm, about 5 mm long

first image shows the whole rock

2nd image shows another view of the rock 

3rd image shows the fracture with scale

4th shows fracture from a different angle

E46FEF8E-C5DD-4B30-9C78-CA12D2A1EF55.thumb.jpeg.0587d0feb33371693db73c6a5b4b3b7d.jpeg

64841FB6-F111-42C6-BBDE-D38EE7DFB50B.thumb.jpeg.547ad9fe3b66194f4327cbbda4b56fd1.jpeg

5F9A384A-8514-440A-9AE3-B679F8597F8E.thumb.jpeg.4dbbd0b7a6d097a6d7b17351e8a0d95c.jpeg

4F21F68F-B543-4EF1-9C11-5A4493BE0BDD.thumb.jpeg.662a6c6dbea956aa05812823fa33539b.jpeg

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

I don't think I have much information or ideas to add, all I can say is that I think this is a fossil but I don't think anyone can tell you much more then that without the location it was found in and maybe it's age if you know it.

• Thank You 1

Thank you both for your responses, I have no information on location and therefore no idea of age. I'm not expecting to get genus or even family more of fossil or not and possibly what it is

• Enjoyed 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

3rd Picture may show a vertebra, but really just conjecture unless more of it is prepped out. 

Could be something else, mineral inclusion, etc. 

• Thank You 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I would lean mineral inclusion or some geologic process myself but like Tim mentioned it is just conjecture unless you can prep out more of it.

• Thank You 1

22 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

unless more of it is prepped out. 

17 minutes ago, Thomas.Dodson said:

unless you can prep out more of it.

Thank you both, if it was something I thought it would be natural cast or mold so prepping wouldn't reveal anything. Seeing as it is so small and the rock is very hard I do not have the materials necessary to prep it. Seems it will remain a mystery a bit longer

2 additional questions

1. When you say prep it, where is the actual fossil? Just carve down on top of the impression and if there is a fossil it would be under it? I just saw it as a mold of a fossil.

2. I don't have an air scribe or other air tools, is there any tool you would recommend for this size?

If the matrix is chert, prepping may not be an option.  :( 

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me