Is this an ankylosaur tooth?

gturner333

I found this in some matrix from the Lance Formation in Wyoming and wondered if it is an ankylosaur tooth. The hash marks are 1mm. Thanks for any help. 

4EAAF0A0-BC20-417E-9275-2BDA5EF91394.jpeg

B89AA1F9-0404-4102-8E03-9F3903F84C9E.jpeg

14D04A75-FA06-434C-9CE1-05C00D676B84.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

That is a beauty.  I think  it is an ankylosaur tooth.  It has the cingulum (lower ridge seen in second photo) so I think that makes it ankylo not pachy.  

Maybe, there are 4 ankylosaurus from the lance: ankylosaurus, Denversaurus, Edmontonia, and palaeoscincus. The last genus is dubious though. Large ceratopsians include torosaurus and triceratops. And the most Likely small plant eater is Thescelosaurus. Hope that helped a bit :)

6 minutes ago, Crankyjob21 said:

Maybe, there are 4 ankylosaurus from the lance: ankylosaurus, Denversaurus, Edmontonia, and palaeoscincus. The last genus is dubious though. Large ceratopsians include torosaurus and triceratops. And the most Likely small plant eater is Thescelosaurus. Hope that helped a bit :)

I don't think ankylosaur teeth can be IDed to genus.  

This is a Nodosauridae tooth and the only one described from the HC/Lance is Denversaurus schlessmani

Edit:

Goofup updated below :shakehead:

1 hour ago, jpc said:

I don't think ankylosaur teeth can be IDed to genus. 

Agree but The only Ankylosaurini described from these formations is Ankylosaurus magniventris.  

Thanks to all. I’ve processed many buckets of matrix from the Lance and Aguja and this is my first ankylosaurs. Finally!

Congrats on a nice find! I love ankylosaurian fossils. So far I've only found a few, one Lance fm. nodosaur tooth (Denversaurus) & an Aguja nodosaur tooth (cf. Edmontonia) along with a couple osteoderms.

I agree with Troodon's ID of Ankylosaurus magniventris as my own nodosaur teeth have the bulbous base & cingulum but not ridge in the middle of the crown like yours.

Edited by PaleoNoel

• 1 year later...
On 3/31/2021 at 11:26 AM, Troodon said:

Agree but The only Ankylosaurini described from these formations is Ankylosaurus magniventris.  

Hello! What do you mean by center ridge? I have a Nodosaur tooth that I possibly think is an Ankylosaur. I tried to take picture's but it was to small for the lense. The tooth is from the Judith River Formation of Hill county Montana.

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

Thanks! I'm 50-50 on if it's a ankylosaur. I wasn't able to get a good photo. I ordered a macro attachment for my camera. Should be here tommorow.

The attachment didn't work on my camera so I just took the picture from the website but they didn't have a picture of the back side. I'll try and get a microscope and take a picture of that but untill then thanks for all the help!

15 hours ago, Troodon said:

Looks like a Nodosaur tooth but do you have size and photo of opposite side.

I managed to get a picture

1B790E9A-FF8A-44ED-8CB4-146DDD8EA454.jpeg

On 5/26/2022 at 12:35 PM, Troodon said:

Okay thanks, its indeed a Nodosaur

Alright thank you.