Question about a very fragile gastropod

Pleuromya

Hi, I've found this really nice small gastropod, it's a golden colour (the photos don't show it well, it's just slightly above the larger bivalve). Last time I found one like it, I carefully brought it inside and put it safely down, the next morning it was broken into pieces, and nothing had knocked it. I don't have anything here to preserve it, is there anything I could do so that it won't break, or to preserve it?

Many thanks. 

IMG_20210331_184217.thumb.jpg.6f6baa6634503fb64c233b1f182641de.jpg

33 minutes ago, Chris Jones said:

Last time I found one like it, I carefully brought it inside and put it safely down, the next morning it was broken into pieces, and nothing had knocked it. I

This sometimes happens as matrix dries out. It also could have been caused by rapid pyrite decay. This specimen looks as though it has undergone some oxidation already. It would be best in the long run to get some paraloid B-72 to use as a consolidant. This consolidant acts as a reinforcement, stabilizing the specimen. As a plus, it keeps moisture out that can cause further decay.

To preserve with paraloid you need to dry it properly, keeping it out of moist air. Once properly dried it can be soaked in the paralaoid solution until there are no bubbles that come out of the fossil. Some people speed the drying process in the oven at low heat or blow dry it but I've never personally done this.

Some people avoid the pyrite decay by coating or storing in oils but since the specimen is soft to begin and has already oxidized it probably needs the paraloid for reinforcement as much as moisture prevention.

• Thank You 1

3 minutes ago, Thomas.Dodson said:

This sometimes happens as matrix dries out. It also could have been caused by rapid pyrite decay. This specimen looks as though it has undergone some oxidation already. It would be best in the long run to get some paraloid B-72 to use as a consolidant. This consolidant acts as a reinforcement, stabilizing the specimen. As a plus, it keeps moisture out that can cause further decay.

To preserve with paraloid you need to dry it properly, keeping it out of moist air. Once properly dried it can be soaked in the paralaoid solution until there are no bubbles that come out of the fossil. Some people speed the drying process in the oven at low heat or blow dry it but I've never personally done this.

Some people avoid the pyrite decay by coating or storing in oils but since the specimen is soft to begin and has already oxidized it probably needs the paraloid for reinforcement as much as moisture prevention.

Thank you, I will definitely get the paraloid at some point, as I often find similar fossils.

Can the oxidation result in a loss of the golden colour? I'm not sure if it's because it is now a lot darker here, but the rock and the fossils seem more of a dark brown colour. 

1 hour ago, Chris Jones said:

Can the oxidation result in a loss of the golden colour? I'm not sure if it's because it is now a lot darker here, but the rock and the fossils seem more of a dark brown colour. 

Yes, I believe the darkening is a result of continued oxidation as the FE3+ builds up.

• I found this Informative 1

7 minutes ago, Thomas.Dodson said:

Yes, I believe the darkening is a result of continued oxidation as the FE3+ builds up.

Ah, that's annoying as I really like the golden colour, but there's nothing I can do about it yet. At least I have that photo of it after I split the rock.