What Kind of Shark Tooth is This?

0sprey

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this so I don't have much experience IDing teeth. I found a few shark teeth at Calvert Cliffs in MD and I was easily able to identify most of them by comparing them to some photo guides online, but this one didn't seem to quite match up to any standard examples I could find. It's just over a centimeter, very symmetrical except where a top corner is broken off, and has pretty clear little serrations.

Hopefully an easy one for someone who knows more than I do! Thanks!

PXL_20210330_234328267.jpg

PXL_20210330_234400723.jpg

PXL_20210330_234416937.jpg

PXL_20210330_234453693.jpg

Looks like a Carcharhinus sp. to me. I'm not sure of all the Carcharhinus sp. found at Calvert Cliffs myself but you likely won't get beyond the genus with this tooth. They're very hard (sometimes impossible) to distinguish even when in perfect condition.

• I found this Informative 2

It belongs in the genus Carcharhinus. There is a lot of root wear which makes it difficult to identify further.

• I found this Informative 2

Very helpful, thank you! I won't be brokenhearted or anything if the exact species is impossible to figure out, this is just to satisfy my own curiosity. It was the only one of this shape that I found, the rest were dead ringers for their respective reference photos.