The much underappreciated Phyllocarids.

mikeymig

I just took my Phyllocarids out of storage and put them back on display in the collection room. All of these extinct crustaceans were found in New York State. Two of the specimens have their complete mandibles (jaws) and all three Devonian Phyllocarids have their telsons (tails). The Silurian Phyllocarid from the Pittsford Black Shale is extremely rare. These are rare fossils and complete specimens are absent in most collections. They have been in boxes for a few years now and it didnt feel right keeping them in the dark. Most people that view my collection don't understand or find them interesting like I do. I like them so....... ;) 

DSC09616.JPG

DSC09615.JPG

DSC09617.JPG

DSC09619.JPG

• Enjoyed 9

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Both gorgeous and interesting.  You are correct, they should not be kept in a box but rather in the beautiful display cabinets where you have now moved them!

Very cool! I am glad you decided to take them out of boxes.

Follow me on Instagram (@fossil_mike) to check out my personal collection of fossils collected and acquired over more than 15 years of fossil hunting!

Great specimens, Mikey!

Thanks for posting them. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I'm a big phyllocarid fan and seeing your specimens on display is quite a thrill. That complete Echinocaris from the Kashong Shale is truly awesome. Congrats on an amazing collection. 

P.S.- I could only fit two of mine in my display case. The rest are tucked comfortably in one of my arthropod drawers. 

Awesome specimens! Glad you decided to bring them back into the light. :) 

I think @Al Tahan would enjoy seeing these. 

• Thank You 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

• 3 weeks later...

That Kashong specimen is insane!! Thanks for sharing. I have a soft spot for phyllocarids :)