Petrified wood found

jnicholes

I volunteer at school, and while volunteering, I discovered this with some kids while working on the school garden. We were digging and getting boxes ready for the planting season.

It was an interesting day! Didn’t expect to find this at a school!

Makes me wonder how old it is.

Jared

4ED334A3-682C-411C-B0E4-29CDB3AF52F8.jpeg

6FDE72B0-D3B5-4D95-998D-8D555309026E.jpeg

Unfortunately this doesn't appear to be petrified wood but rather a type of rock. It looks like schist to me but let's wait for someone with more experience in the geology side of things.

• I Agree 3

SERIOUSLY?!?!

Right when I thought I had something wonderful to share, it turns out I have nothing! I HATE when that happens! It makes me so angry!

I am not posting for a while, too upset.

Hey, no reason to get upset. Everybody makes mistakes. You shouldn't let this get you down.  Anyways it is an interesting rock and I can see why you thought it was wood. I can clearly see the the lines that resemble wood grain. There is no reason to beat yourself up over this. :)

Dave

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 5

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Try not to take it too personally, nor be a victim of the availability heuristic. That is, a lot of people will post their great finds from successful trips but not the many times they are skunked. It is similar to seeing the displays at a museum that offer us hope, but those are the result of the very best finds from a lifetime of collecting. 

Batting averages may vary, but I know mine is pretty low. I can tell you that more than half of my site visits result in coming home empty-handed, with rubbish fossils, or stuff I don't collect. That is just the nature of fossil collecting. It just makes that special find all the more special. :) I know I can spend hundreds of dollars in travel and accommodations just to come back with nearly nothing as a result, despite all reasonable efforts in the field and foreknowledge of the strata. It can be a bit of a rock lottery. And it has happened to me several times. 

If it helps, hope for the best but brace for the worst. That approach certainly helps as a cushion for disappointment (which happens quite often in our collecting). I deem it a touch of Stoicism that softens that sharp edge of disappointment and a feeling of failure, which really has no place in what we do. The experience alone (and being with enthusiastic children) already says the event was NOT a failure. In fact, sometimes those experiences we have are more valuable than the fossil we find. ;) 

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 4

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

My batting average is pretty low but I am not deterred. It is so great to have a site to turn to, (TFF) and my confidence and knowledge has increased in spite of my "discoveries".  Thankyou to the people who give their time and academic experience. :)

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

I think, @jnicholes is joking/kidding :).

Either way, lets enjoy nature, fossils and TFF with all its great members!
Franz Bernhard

We should start a topic ... funniest not-fossil story!  I once collected a load of broken up asphalt from a creek thinking it was turtle shell - I was so excited thinking I had found associated pieces! :heartylaugh:  

• I Agree 1

14 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

I think, @jnicholes is joking/kidding :).

Either way, lets enjoy nature, fossils and TFF with all its great members!
Franz Bernhard

I am NOT joking. Yesterday I was really upset.

Metamorphic rocks can appear to be what they are not. 

0403211443~2.jpg

A photo of the other edges of your piece would be useful.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ