NJ cretaceous possible antler or bone?

Fishinfossil

Found in a NJ Cretaceous stream. Appears like it would be an antler or rib as it tapers out. Fossilized and doesn't seem to be modern. Any ideas?

IMG_1393.jpg

IMG_1392.jpg

IMG_1391.jpg

IMG_1390.jpg

Clearer pictures of the broken end would help us determine if it is a bone or not. However, I am not seeing the cancellous structure which would indicate bone, making me think it's more likely to be either a burrow infilling or concretion, both of which can be frequently found at Big Brook.

• I Agree 3

@PaleoNoel thanks for input. Zoom in on the second picture, you can see a fibrous bony structure. If not, I'll try and post another pic

It's a concretion

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

Don't feel bad. The list of those who have posed this question is long.

I'm on it. :)

@The Jersey Devil @Rockwood   I appreciate the responses! Take a look at this closer if you can. With the hundreds of concretions Ive seen in Ram this just doesn't look like the insides of a concretion? Also, there looks like rodent bite marks on the side of it, which I'll try and post.

ANTLER.thumb.PNG.3099aef74d53f2ec177027790f2b2667.PNG

With the new picture that really is a bone. Probably a modern deer. Very likely not cretaceous, the slight chance of Pleistocene always exists.

Edited by The Jersey Devil
  • I Agree 1

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

Actually @The Jersey Devil and @Rockwood just looked at it again now that its dried out and though it has that spongy look there is a lot of that (pyrite)? fleck on it. The taste test makes it seem like bone to me, but who knows?!

Edited by Fishinfossil

I don't see any pyrite on the given pictures. It could be the sand from the stream.