Broken Keich Fossil

Shelley newbie collector

Hi,

I ordered a keich fossil online and it got broken in the mail. I  can fit the pieces back together pretty tightly. Can I just use regular crazy glue? Or gorilla gel?  Or is there a special way that fossils need to be repaired? I'm new to the hobby and this was my first expensive fossil purchase.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I think you ought to post a photo here so that our members can provide you with the right advice. :) 

• I Agree 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Contact the seller and request a resolution. You should have options beyond repair (e.g. return, replacement, partial or full refund, carrier insurance). Although ultimately repair may be the path you choose. With clean breaks it can be nicely done. However, it is the burden of the seller to deliver an item as offered, not broken would certainly be "as offered."

• I Agree 2

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I have tried several times to contact the seller but got no response at all which is incredibly frustrating!

IMG_20210329_123653.jpg

10 hours ago, Kane said:

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I think you ought to post a photo here so that our members can provide you with the right advice. :) 

I added a pic. Any advice is welcome as I have no idea what to do.

If the parts fit TIGHT then a thin super glue should work. DO NOT use expanding glues (Gorilla is one of many types) Even with super glue you will want to use some bar type clamps across the break to clamp it tight for a few hours after gluing. Make sure you pre-test clamps as if they sit wrong they can buckle the pieces. Don't have to clamp hard but a firm hold.

• I Agree 3

Additionally I would use 3 clamps, 2 the long way and 1 short ways. Being very careful as you tighten them (just tiny adjustments at a time) that the parts don't shift along the split.

• I found this Informative 1

9 hours ago, Shelley newbie collector said:

I have tried several times to contact the seller

Given that deplorable state of affairs, I would proceed with repair. From the photo, it would appear that the outcome will display just fine. As for the seller, they would obviously go on my "never again" list. In addition, depending on your level of ire, send a negative report to the auction platform; if indeed that was the venue of purchase. Assuming adequate care in packing, the seller is also a victim of the fragility of fossil material and the handling by other (which he cannot control). However, simply ignoring a complaint and not offering some effort at a solution is not acceptable.

• I Agree 1

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

2 hours ago, snolly50 said:

depending on your level of ire, send a negative report to the auction platform; .

My level of ire is pretty high, . . I was just sad that the fossil was broken but madder and madder when no response from the seller!  Thanks for the advice!