Chris finner

Hi I found this on the coast of Whitby.. the circle at the top stud out and something different to the slate. After a bit of chipping the main bit came away easily and is definitely separate to the slate?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.. 

1ECB6994-3FA3-436C-8E0E-A6EEC110D40D.jpeg

9A16216D-C0DE-4EFE-A48E-AEDE7626A52C.jpeg

6750C49F-F345-4B36-9195-F7D69E077503.jpeg

C5C4FED3-1177-4B59-B9F2-04E408A6C8A3.jpeg

1E736EF4-4995-4565-A4D0-AF0547F178E8.jpeg

D645765C-5A80-4E5F-BA5F-C1FC5909FA0B.jpeg

B551B02F-F8BC-48E2-B01B-59FC06B041F7.jpeg

Hello and welcome to TFF:)

I'm not on much help, but I see there might be pyrite crystals on the matrix and on the supposed fossils. What is very interesting to me is that Belemnites rostrum with nice epibionts/endobionts. :)

(Could you post a few pictures in high-res with that?)

Please wait other opinions.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

That’s the best I can do on my phone but I could take higher res or macro with my canon if you need it 

1C66C411-F5B1-4456-9C24-5B99500EA048.jpeg

E461E79E-A5FD-4168-91A7-585C620FA20A.jpeg

A87BE414-0A64-4B9D-80E0-09B21928E0F5.jpeg

Looks like that and the round one could just be pyritic nodules. Some odd shapes occur in the shale. Can’t see obvious bone texture in the cross section 

I agree with @abyssunder that beneath the other potential fossils is a belemnite rostrum. 

The more I learn, the more I find that I know nothing. 

Regards, 

Asher 

1 hour ago, Chris finner said:

That’s the best I can do on my phone but I could take higher res or macro with my canon if you need it 

1C66C411-F5B1-4456-9C24-5B99500EA048.jpeg  E461E79E-A5FD-4168-91A7-585C620FA20A.jpeg  A87BE414-0A64-4B9D-80E0-09B21928E0F5.jpeg

Thank you for the pictures!

If I'm not wrong, there might be what is called Entobia isp.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

The shape is neat and is suggestive but the end does not show any bone like texture, no dense cortex or sponge like trabecular bone.  It really is suggestive. Maybe show it to a local expert

Edited by val horn
Additional thought

9 hours ago, abyssunder said:

Thank you for the pictures!

If I'm not wrong, there might be what is called Entobia isp.

It does look similar to Entobia but it's a suggestive mineral crust of calcified shale particles. :)  Sadly, there isn't any Entobia in the Upper Lias around there, or any other obvious attached fauna - fossils were generally buried too quickly. 

• I found this Informative 1

Tarquin

14 hours ago, val horn said:

The shape is neat and is suggestive but the end does not show any bone like texture, no dense cortex or sponge like trabecular bone.  It really is suggestive. Maybe show it to a local expert

Hi the end was visible and worn before I split it... could those structures be smoothed of from exposure to the elements? 

thanks for the reply ;) 

chris 

many creatures will live in the mud  burrowing  in the mud to look for food particles as earthworms do, or for protection against predators and these burrows will fill in with a finer sediment and show up as  trace fossils    they will have a 3d texture and can have a complex crossing pattern but do not show much if any internal structures.  A burrow is much more likely to have the smooth even texture that you samples have than to have the internal structure completely wear away.

that being said when I googled ichthyosaur humerus  several photos show  fossils that look alot like yours therefore I suggested that you want to get a local expert to evaluate your find because sometimes the fossils from a given formation do have different characteristics.  I dont see much internal character particularly in the figure with 4 fossils

download.jpg

f08_791.jpg

21 minutes ago, val horn said:

many creatures will live in the mud  burrowing  in the mud to look for food particles as earthworms do, or for protection against predators and these burrows will fill in with a finer sediment and show up as  trace fossils    they will have a 3d texture and can have a complex crossing pattern but do not show much if any internal structures.  A burrow is much more likely to have the smooth even texture that you samples have than to have the internal structure completely wear away.

that being said when I googled ichthyosaur humerus  several photos show  fossils that look alot like yours therefore I suggested that you want to get a local expert to evaluate your find because sometimes the fossils from a given formation do have different characteristics.  I dont see much internal character particularly in the figure with 4 fossils

download.jpg

f08_791.jpg

Thanks that’s really informative ;)

2 hours ago, Chris finner said:

What’s a burrow? 

As @val horn described, it is a feeding or living chamber for a burrowing animal. Since yours has a bulbous end, it would suggest this could be a living chamber. I couldn't really tell from the photos, but it looks like there may be tiny fossil remains visible on it's surface. This is common in burrows. This can be the remains of past meals or just debris that washed in when the chamber was filled with sediment. I have pointed out a few items that may be fossil bits on the photo. The end (chipped portion visible on this photo) shows no bone structure, or does any other part of the object. So I have to disagree that this is part of an ichthyosaur. If it was me, I would prep the burrow to see if there is a critter still in there. :)

As others have suggested, it is always a good idea to consult local experts. 

Burrow.jpg

35 minutes ago, GeschWhat said:

As @val horn described, it is a feeding or living chamber for a burrowing animal. Since yours has a bulbous end, it would suggest this could be a living chamber. I couldn't really tell from the photos, but it looks like there may be tiny fossil remains visible on it's surface. This is common in burrows. This can be the remains of past meals or just debris that washed in when the chamber was filled with sediment. I have pointed out a few items that may be fossil bits on the photo. The end (chipped portion visible on this photo) shows no bone structure, or does any other part of the object. So I have to disagree that this is part of an ichthyosaur. If it was me, I would prep the burrow to see if there is a critter still in there. :)

As others have suggested, it is always a good idea to consult local experts. 

Burrow.jpg

That would be wonderful if something was inside!!!! Don’t think I have the tools to investigate though ;) 

thanks for the info!!

1 minute ago, Chris finner said:

That would be wonderful if something was inside!!!! Don’t think I have the tools to investigate though ;) 

thanks for the info!!

I usually just use an X-acto blade and take off a little material at a time. It is always best to do it under magnification if possible. 

28 minutes ago, GeschWhat said:

Taking a closer look at your photos, I think I spotted my favorite fossil (technically an ichnofossil or trace fossil) - COPROLITE (aka, fossil poop)! :Jumping:

Whitby-copro.jpg

I found this bit interesting as well!! It seems to arch around and I was hoping for a jaw of some kind..... but I’m happy with poop!!!  :) 

8EE126A0-AD04-40C7-8ACE-707639938EF9.jpeg

On a side note, the whole block of shale will fall to bits if left to dry out. 
When we first started collecting we brought home a few bits of shale like this with belemnites and ammonites in, only to find a pile of small pieces a few weeks later

• I found this Informative 1

7 minutes ago, dhiggi said:

On a side note, the whole block of shale will fall to bits if left to dry out. 
When we first started collecting we brought home a few bits of shale like this with belemnites and ammonites in, only to find a pile of small pieces a few weeks later

Thanks , is there anyway to prevent that ??

36 minutes ago, Chris finner said:

Thanks , is there anyway to prevent that ??

This stuff liberally painted on (it’s very thin so soaks in), used in a very well ventilated place until it’s dry (pretty quick) is what most people use.

If you do decide to go down that route then keep it somewhere cold and a bit damp until you get the stuff.

https://www.zoicpalaeotech.co.uk/collections/paraloid/products/paraloid-b-72-100g-acetone-1l-bundle

Edited by dhiggi
Forgot the link

28 minutes ago, dhiggi said:

This stuff liberally painted on (it’s very thin so soaks in), used in a very well ventilated place until it’s dry (pretty quick) is what most people use.

If you do decide to go down that route then keep it somewhere cold and a bit damp until you get the stuff.

Sorry I don’t see a link for the stuff ... what’s it called .. ta 

1 minute ago, Chris finner said:

Sorry I don’t see a link for the stuff ... what’s it called .. ta 

Just realised I missed it off and edited my post. It’s called paraloid and is mixed with acetone to form a very thin glue

• I Agree 1